Marketing Strategy is like solving Rubik’s Cube
- Jonathan Houston
• Store to sell various types of puzzles.
• Assemble & Sell cubes of various
o 3x3 Rubik’s cube,
o 2x2 cube,
o Big cubes (4x4 cube, 5x5
cube, 6x6 cube, 7x7 cube)
o Non-cubic shaped
(Pyraminx, Megaminx etc.)
• Can also sell puzzle add-on supplements like Stickers, lubricants, sticker
removers, cube cleaners, pouches etc.
• Provide services like interactive tutorials on how to solve the cube.
• A generic solution involves 5 stages: Cross, First layer, Second layer, cross
on last layer, OLL (orient Last layer), PLL (Permute last layer).
• The world record is 5.11 seconds.
Plan of action
•Import DIY(Do it yourself) kits. (From
Lightake, HknowStore, etc, since DIY
kits are cheaper than assembled
•Prepare an assembly line to
assemble the cubes.
•Establish a flagship store along-with
an online portal for shopping.
• Educational/recreational/hobby toys for all ages irrespective of
• Target Schools-Primary and secondary, colleges and other educational
institutions and forums.
• Target parents/guardians so that they can introduce it to their children.
• Have a wide price range for cubes ranging from lowest quality to the
highest quality targeting common man and premium segment at the same
Segment & Target consumers
Will Smith in The Pursuit of Happiness
•Builds confidence specially with under achieving students.
• Promotes cooperative learning.
• Provides students with a frame work for solving problems
• Improves spatial awareness and exercises the brain
• Demonstrates the need for practice
• Approximately 1000 rubik cube solvers in the country
Unexplored market towards educational toys
No age/ gender/ demographic barriers
Variety of puzzles to keep everyone interested
Multiple ways of solving the puzzles (two
hand, one hand, blind fold and feet)
•Will enhance the analytical and logical thinking
India has about 800 to 1000 cube solvers according to
World Cube Association and only under 100 people
having a time of under 30 seconds
Workshops and events can be organized at school level
to interest the young crowd.
Market for add-on products such as stickers, lubricants
Various levels of cube solving can be introduced
Selling of merchandise related to Rubik’s cube
Mobile apps can be developed
Cube solving might become monotonous for
some over a period of time
Conservative mindset of parents towards extra
curricular activities in India
Visually impaired and color blind
Video tutorials online: Over 40,000 videos are
uploaded for cube solving on You Tube daily
across the world
Stiff competition from Chinese products
Marketing Plan – SWOT Analysis
• Market the product in schools and colleges due to the advantages of
knowing how to solve a cube. Market the cube as an educational gift
• Provide additional services like interactive tutorials on how to solve the
cube. Sponsor & Organize competitions in collaboration with World cube
• Cube mosaics in schools, colleges and malls to create buzz and hype.
Setup kiosks/desks in malls to target families.
• Conduct workshops for members of all age groups to promote cube
• Promote cubes to summer camps and online forums
•For initial foray into the market, we will target private school and colleges
on contract basis.