Usi Semester Exam Study Guide Answer KeyPresentation Transcript
Label the 7 continents and 5 oceans on the World Map below.
Color the Equator Red and the Prime Meridian blue
Atlantic Ocean Pacific Ocean Pacific Ocean Indian Ocean Arctic Ocean Southern Ocean North America South America Africa Antarctica Europe Asia Australia
2. Use the map below and write the correct letter to represent each Geographical Region 1.______Appalachian Mountains 2.______Basin and Range 3.______Coastal Plain 4.______Interior Lowlands 5.______Coastal Range 6.______Canadian Shield 7.______Great Plains 8.______Rocky Mountains What sentence do you use to remember the Geographical Regions? B G A D H C E F
3. Write the name of the Geographical Region that matches each statement below. _______________________ Contains fertile valleys _______________________ Flat land that gradually increases in elevation westward _______________________ Contains Death Valley _______________________ Includes the Piedmont _______________________ Hundreds of lakes carved by glaciers _______________________ Oldest mountain range in North America _______________________ Rolling flatlands with many rivers _______________________ Contains the Continental Divide _______________________ Excellent harbors Coastal Range Great Plains Basin & Range Appalachian Highlands Canadian Shield Appalachian Highlands Interior Lowlands Rocky Mountains Coastal Plains
#1 #2 #7 #8
_______________________ _______________________ _______________________ Was explored by Lewis & Clark _______________________ Was explored by the Spanish _______________________ Highway for early explorers, settlers & immigrants _______________________ Early exploration route for the French & Spanish _______________________ Early exploration route Transportation arteries for farm & industrial products 5. Write the name of the body of water that matches each statement below _______________________ Inland port cities in the Midwest _______________________ Known as the “Gateway to the West” Ohio River Great Lakes Mississippi River Missouri River Columbia River Colorado River Atlantic Ocean Gulf of Mexico Pacific Ocean
List the 3 motivating forces for European Exploration
God, Gold & Glory
What were the obstacles of early explorers?
Poor maps & navigational tools, Disease, Starvation, Fear of the Unknown, Lack of adequate supplies
9. What were the accomplishments of early explorers?
Exchanged goods and ideas, Improved navigational tools, Claimed territories
Francisco Coronado explored what area of the United States? What country did he explore for?
Southwest United States; Spain
11. Name the two French explorers and where they explored in North America.
a. Robert La Salle; Mississippi River Valley
b. Samuel de Champlain; Quebec, Canada
12. Where did John Cabot explore and what country did he explore for?
Eastern Canada; England
13. The Spanish are known for their mistreatment of the Native Americans. What horrible thing did they do to the Native American tribes?
Conquered and enslaved the First Americans
Trading posts were set up by which European country?
This European country made discoveries along the coast of West Africa.
Name the three African empires that dominated through the age of exploration.
Ghana, Mali & Songhai
17. What country learned farming techniques from the American Indians?
18. During what time period did Portugal trade with West Africa?
19. Conflict/Cooperation - Identify each statement below as an area of conflict or cooperation between the First Americans & European Explorers. Write out the entire word!! _______________________ Technology (weapons & farm _______________________ Language differences _______________________ Land _______________________ Crops _______________________ Disease _______________________ Cultural differences _______________________ Competition for trade _______________________ Trading tools) Conflict Conflict Conflict Conflict Conflict Cooperation Cooperation Cooperation
What group from England settled at Jamestown?
Virginia Company of London
21. Plymouth was settled for what reason?
Religious- separatists from the Church of England
Who settled Massachusetts Bay Colony?
What two colonies were established as economic ventures?
Roanoke Island & Jamestown
When was Jamestown established?
1607– In 1607, we sail the open sea… for Glory, God & Gold and the Virginia Company
What colony was known as the “Lost Colony”?
26. Slaves were brought to the New World (voluntarily or forced). Forced- they were captured in Africa 27. What colony was established by people from debtor’s prisons in England? Georgia 28. Who in Colonial American relied on their family for labor? Farmers- “F” Family “F” Farmers 29. What type of people came to the colonies on 5-7 year contracts? Indentured Servants 30. What colony was established by Quakers? Pennsylvania 31. List some (at least 2 or 3) occupations of women in Colonial America. Caretakers, maids, homemakers, cooks
32. Use the map below to color the 3 areas of Colonial America the following colors: New England- GREEN Mid-Atlantic- YELLOW South- ORANGE New England Massachusetts New Hampshire Connecticut Rhode Island Mid-Atlantic New York Pennsylvania New Jersey Delaware South Maryland Virginia North Carolina South Carolina Georgia
For each statement write (N) for New England (M) for Mid-Atlantic and (S) for South. _____ Plantations, mansions, indentured servants _____ Fishing, shipbuilding and naval supplies _____ Town meetings _____ Cash crops (tobacco & cotton) _____ Boston Harbor _____ Large farms/plantations _____ County government _____ Religious reformers and separatists _____ Church of England _____ Market towns _____ Piedmont; Atlantic Coastal Plain _____ Livestock and grain trading _____ Hilly, rocky, jagged coastline _____ Humid climate _____ Moderate summers; cold winters _____ Moderate climate N N N N N N M M M S S S S S S S
33. Why did the King begin to tax the colonies? To raise money to pay for the French & Indian War 34. Why did the colonists resent the taxes imposed by Parliament? Because they didn’t have any representation in Parliament “ NO TAXATION WITHOUT REPRESENTATION” 35. Name a few of the reasons for the colonists becoming upset with England. Taxes, No representation in Parliament 36. What document said the colonists could not move west of the Appalachian Mountains? Proclamation of 1763 37. Natural Rights (life, liberty, and property) were the product of whom? John Locke 38. Where does the government get its power? The PEOPLE!
39. What are some key ideas of the Declaration of Independence?
* People have certain “unalienable rights” that can’t be taken away
* Life liberty and the pursuit of happiness
* People established government to protect those rights
* The government gets its power from the people
* People have a duty to change a government that violates their rights
Who was the Virginia politician that said, “Give me liberty, or give me death?”
Who was the British king during the American Revolution?
King George III
42. Who was the major author of the Declaration of Independence?
43. Who was the former slave who wrote poems and plays about independence? Phyllis Wheatley 44. Who was the British general who surrendered and where did he surrender? Lord Cornwallis; Yorktown, Virginia 45. Who was the journalist who wrote the pamphlet Common Sense ? Thomas Paine 46. Who was the Commander of the Continental Army? George Washington 47. Who was a member of the Continental Congress and helped with the Declaration of Independence? Benjamin Franklin
48. Where were the first battles of the American Revolution? Battles of Lexington & Concord 49. What battle was the turning point of the American Revolution? Battle of Saratoga 50. What boycott involved Samuel Adams & Paul Revere? Boston Tea Party 51. What 3 advantages did the colonists have to help them win the war? 1. Defense of their own land, principles and beliefs 2. Support from France & Spain 3. Strong leadership