• Problems in the cities were handled by _______.
– “most expensive, most inefficient, most corrupt”
• Why were they so unable to handle the issues?
– Population in NYC increased 5x in one generation
• This absence of a responsible government led to
the growth of the POLITICAL MACHINE.
– one group controls all political activities in an area
– Led by POLITICAL BOSS
• Political machines worked on two levels:
– service to individuals - exchanged votes
– special treatment to businesses - exchanged $
• NYC Political Machine = TAMMANY HALL
– Precinct Captain:
– Party BOSS:
• Who was supported political machines? Why?
• Machines known for GRAFT
– Padding the vote
– Padding the bill
– Providing unnecessary jobs to friends
3 Tables and 4 chairs = ?
Brooms = ?
• Who was hurt the most by the corruption?
• Who brought Tweed down
& how did he do it?
– THOMAS NAST by…
using political cartoons
• Why were the cartoons so effective?
– People who couldn’t read English could
understand general message of pictures