In a geo targeting search result world, Google does consider ccTLDs to that specific country markets. So if you are targeting to a specific location, then you should choose your domain extensions
In a geo targeting search result world, Google does consider ccTLDs to that specific country markets. So if you are targeting to a specific location, then you should choose your domain extensions carefully.
Does ccTLD Helps to Market Your Business Globally?
2. Domain Name
There are 2 types of domain
1. ccTLDs (country-code top-level
ccTLD or country specific top level
domains include domain extensions like
.fr, .es, .in, .co.uk, .au etc.
3. 2. gTLDs (generic top-level domain names)
gTLDs or generic top level domains include domain extensions like
.info, .net, .biz etc.
4. Lets talk about ccTLDs and Its
In a geo targeting search result world, Google does consider ccTLDs to
that specific country market. So if you are targeting a specific location,
then you should choose your domain extensions carefully.
5. In a recent update Google's Spam Leader Matt Cutts said that
"If you go and pick a really weird novelty domain that nobody else
really uses, and mostly is used by this other country, we’re still
probably going to assume it’s most relevant to that
It means these websites must have content to that specific country.
Google will consider that the content of a ccTLD site will be applied
to the geo-targeted area. And if the content is not relevant to that
specific area, then that site will hard to rank in the top search results.
6. You can watch the youtube video for the detailed information given by
Matt Cutts here:
7. The biggest challenge is to do Global SEO by ccTLDs.
SEO for the international market is really very challenging because
for that we have to understand the preference of different search
engines or respective countries. It means giving priority to Google
and Bing will not give you fruitful results. There are many country
specific search engines also present. See the table:
Global SEO or Multi National Challenges
Country Popular Search Engine
Czech Republic Senzam
8. So the popularities of various search engines in different countries
combined with the various ways the search engines work. Budget is
the biggest source in deciding how to form the international SEO
strategy and how much global SEO to tackle.
Factors to Consider for Using ccTLDs for International SEO
9. International SEO can be achieved using different options, costs,
advantages and of course risks. And you have to understand each option
and determine its advantages for your business goals, resources, and long-
10. Definitely, you will receive a higher CTR (click-through rates)
and higher conversion ratio with biggest expense, but it is very
expensive to gain authority for the separate domain.
11. Key Points to Remember:
1. Ensure each country’s site or ccTLD is geographically targeted
in Webmaster Tools.
2. Ensure the language meta tag is set properly like:
<meta http-equiv=”content-language” content=”en-us”>.
3. Attempt the regional language keyword research and content
to promote your business by global SEO. Just translate the
content from one language into another but do not make any
phrasing, grammar and cultural effects of topics.
12. 4. The rule of rewriting for each country is also not same. Even
English in North America, UK, Australia, and South Africa differs
greatly especially when targeting long tail keywords. So just
rewriting the content in other language will not work. By posting
proper content, builds trust that brings higher conversions and
stronger domain authority.
5. Use local contact information such as phone numbers and
addresses including search-engine friendly Schema.org format will
boost SEO benefits.