UK Website Privacy Policy Review By Truste March 2012

675 views
600 views

Published on

UK Website Privacy Policy Review By Truste.com March 2012

Published in: Technology
0 Comments
1 Like
Statistics
Notes
  • Be the first to comment

No Downloads
Views
Total views
675
On SlideShare
0
From Embeds
0
Number of Embeds
106
Actions
Shares
0
Downloads
1
Comments
0
Likes
1
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide

UK Website Privacy Policy Review By Truste March 2012

  1. 1. TRUSTe PRIVACY INDEX 1 2012 UK WEBSITE EDITION TRACKING ON TOP UK WEBSITES The Average Website Has 14 Trackers (e.g. cookies) Per Page Where Do They Come From? How Long Do They Last?The Website Owner Indefinitely 32% Until a user leaves the site 68% 3rd Party 49% 51% Companies What Are They Used For? We found over 100 Auto-filling forms Storing shopping basket items different companies engaged in 3rd party tracking on top UK Counting visitors Personalising content websites. Targeting ads Authentication & security Tracking users Recording user preferences
  2. 2. PRIVACY POLICIES ON TOP UK WEBSITES WHO HAS THEM? HOW LONG ARE THEY? 1,014 2,299 3,594 WORDS WORDS WORDS Average Queens Speech2 96% Average Privacy Policy 16% 6% Have a Have a Have a Magna Carta3 privacy policy policy summary mobile-optimised policy WHAT DO PRIVACY POLICIES SAY? We Share Data About You with 3rd Parties for Commercial Purposes 36% We Collect Your Location 48% We Allow 3rd Parties To Track You 68% WHAT DON’T PRIVACY POLICIES SAY? Do Not Explain How to Delete Your Data DELETE 54% Do Not Disclose How Long They Keep Your Data 80%1. Based on an analysis of the top 50 websites in the U.K. ranked by Alexa in March 2012.2. Average for speeches delivered from 2001-2010.3. See: http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/featured_documents/magna_carta/translation.html LEARN MORE www.truste.com | twitter.com/truste © TRUSTe, Inc. 2012 All Rights Reserved.

×