2. Early Days She was born on27thAugust1910.Her realname was AgnesGionxhu Bejuxhiuand she was theyoungest child ofNikola, apolitician, andDrane Bejuxhiu inSkopje inYugoslavia.
3. Angel DiedOShe was 10 when her father died, She was the youngest of theShe was 10 when her father died, She was the youngest of thechildren of a family..After her fathers death, her mother raised herchildren of a family..After her fathers death, her mother raised heras a Roman Catholic. went to theas a Roman Catholic. went to the Loreto AbbeyLoreto Abbey,, IrelandIreland, to learn, to learnEnglish, the language the Sisters of Loreto used to teach schoolEnglish, the language the Sisters of Loreto used to teach schoolchildren in India. She arrived in India in 1929, and began herchildren in India. She arrived in India in 1929, and began hernovitiate in Darjeeling, near the Himalayan mountains. Shenovitiate in Darjeeling, near the Himalayan mountains. Shetook her first religious vows as a nun on May 24, 1931. At that timetook her first religious vows as a nun on May 24, 1931. At that timeshe chose the name Teresashe chose the name TeresaOShe died in September 5, 1997.She died in September 5, 1997.
4. The Decision of nuns . She arrived in India in 1929, and began hernovitiate in Darjeeling, near the Himalayan mountains. Age 18 – joined the Sisters of Loretto a roman catholicorder . Age 21 – takes first religious vows and chooses the nametherse du lisieux after the saint of missionaries .
5. Indian Slums
6. Working with the poorO On September10th 1964 she gotthe calling to work with the poor.She began missionary work with thepoor of Calcutta. She replaced theloretto habit with a simple whitecotton chira with a blue border.O In 1948 she took Indian citizenshipand opened her first school inMotjhil to serve the homeless andstarving. It was difficult at first asthere was no money and she had tobeg for food and other supplies. Shedid some medical training in Paris.
7. Missionaries of CharityO October 7th1950 – Vatican permission to set upMissionaries of Charity, to care for the hungry,the naked, the homeless, the crippled, theblind and lepers.O She started with 13 nuns now there are over4,000
8. Homes for the poorO 1952 – opens NirmalHriday [pure heart]for the dying.O 1955 – opens NirmalaShishua Bhavan[ immaculate heart]for lost children orchildrens home.O 1957 – opens ShantiNagar [city ofpeace] a home forlepers.O Her order becamewell known for thiswork!
10. Where she helpedO 1982 – siege of Beirut O 1985 - EthopiaO 1986 - Chernobyl O 1988 - Armenia
11. Mother Teresa meets…
12. Awards that she gotO 1962 - Padma shri awardO 1971 - Pope John XXIII peace prizeO 1975 - Albert Schweiter international prizeO 1976 - Pacem in Terris awardO 1978 - Balzon prizeO 1979 - Noble Peace PrizeO 1983 - Order of MeritO 1985 - Medal of FreedomO 1994 - Golden Honour of the Nation [Albania]O 1996 - Honorary citizenship of USA1998 - Pope John Paul II begins the process to
13. The final daysO March 13th1997 –she steppeddown as headnun and isreplaced by SisterNirnala.O September 5th1997 – She died ofa massive heartattack in Calcuttaat the age of 87.O Her funeral was onthe 13thofSeptember 1997.She was given astate funeral
14. Pictures of her funeral
15. How she affected people’slife:O For over forty five years she ministeredto the poor, sick, orphaned, anddying, while guiding the Missionaries ofCharitys expansion, first throughoutIndia and then in other countries.O By the 1970s she had becomeinternationally famed as ahumanitarian and advocate for thepoor and helpless.
16. Thanking youO “ Not all of us can dogreat things. But wecan do small thingswith great love.”– Mother Teresa