“SCILAB (open source software for numerical
computation) in Chemical Engineering”
Submitted By: Guided By:
Kripal Priyadarshi (11BCH026) Asst Prof. Priya Saxena
Learning Outcome After Presentation
After Presentation we would be able to understand the following
• Introduction Open source softwares
• Difference between Scilab and Matlab
• Scilab basics and simple types of problem solving using scilab
• Engineering problems solving using Scilab
Introduction To Open source Software
• Open-source software is computer software with its source code made available and licensed with
a license in which the copyright holder provides the rights to study, change and distribute the
software to anyone and for any purpose.
• Software’s are used in designing, finance, computer simulation, mathematics, science, geographical
information, nanotechnology, etc.
• Some of the software’s are Scilab, Firefox, Openoffice, GIMP, FreeNX, OpenVPN, rdesktop
DVDFlick, Mozilla Calendar,etc
Introduction to Scilab
Scilab is a freely distributed open source scientific software package, first
developed by researchers from INRIA and ENPC, and now by the Scilab
Consortium. It is similar to Matlab, which is a commercial product. Yet it is
almost as powerful as Matlab.
Scilab consists of three main components:
libraries of functions
libraries of Fortran and C routines
Difference between Scilab and Matlab
• Functions in SCILAB are not considered
as separate files
• Functions in MATLAB are considered as
• To execute a script file you must use
• exec("filename") in SCILAB
• To execute a script file in MATLAB you
just need to type the name of the file.
• Scilab comments begins with: // • Matlab commands begin with:%
• Boolean variables are %T, %F in
• Boolean variables are 0,1 in MATLAB
• Polynomial matrices are defined by the
function poly in SCILAB.
• They are considered as vectors of
coefficients in Matlab
Installing the Scilab
• First, you must have the software. Go
to the download section in the Scilab
homepage, find a right version for
your operating system (platform), and
then click to download. For easy
installation, it is advisable to
download the installer (for binary
version). Then double click the
downloaded file and follow the
instructions to complete the
• The Scilab environment: Console and Prompt
• Once the user has opened Scilab, the window shown on the right appears.
• The main part is the Scilab Console, in which is contained the Prompt of commands, identified by
the symbol -->
• Here the user types the commands and interacts with the environment.
' conjugate transpose
To enter a string, enclose it with either single or double
Chemical engineering problems using Scilab
Scilab can be useful in solving the chemical engineering related
problems such as:-
• Heat transfer
• Fluid flow operations
• Different operation such as absorption, distillation etc with graphical
• Designs of various equipment
Numerical based on Fluid Flow
Ouestion:-Find the Type of Flow of stream in pipe of diameter of 0.06m.
Using Graphical Feauture
• Question:-Plot a graph of dx/dt=sin2t.
• Scilab coding→Graph←
Solving Equilibrium stage operation
• Question:-By means of a plate column, acetone is absorbed from its
mixture with air in a nonvolatile absorption oil. The entering gas
contains 30 mole % acetone, and the entering oil is acetone-free. Of
the acetone in the air 97 % is to be absorbed, and the concentrated
liquor at the bottom of the tower is to contain 10 mole % acetone.
The equilibrium relationship is ye=1.9xe. Plot the operating line and
determine the number of ideal stages.
Solving Designing of cyclone separator
Particle size distribution
Permissible Pressure Drop,mmH20 125
Flow rate of gas,m^3/hr 2000
Density of solid particle 2500
Permissible pressure drop ?
%Recovery of solid 85%
Design a suitable cyclone for a given process.: