1. Mac OS X Introduction, Tips and Tricks
Get familiar with and ﬁnd your way around Apple’s ﬂagship OS, and then pick
up some skills that will help you get things done quicker and easier
2. In a nutshell: Mac OS X 10.5 “Leopard”
• Powerful, UNIX 03-certiﬁed computing
• Client & server versions (Leopard Server)
• Direct competitor to Microsoft’s Windows Vista
• Also runs on the iPhone, iPod touch, and TV
• Coming soon: Mac OS X 10.6 “Snow Leopard”
3. A brief history (and some geek stuff)
• NeXTSTEP/OPENSTEP developed from mid-80’s until Apple bought NeXT
• OPENSTEP evolved into the ﬁrst version of OS X, codenamed “Rhapsody”
• Based on Mach kernel developed by Berkeley Software Distribution (BSD)
• Each release of OS X followed names of “big cats” (Cheetah/Puma, Jaguar,
Panther, Tiger, and now Leopard)
• Foundation & core is open-source Darwin; interface is Aqua, shell is Finder
• With Leopard, OS X is UNIX 03 certiﬁed (POSIX, C programming, utilities)
4. Features of Mac OS X Leopard
• Finder: ﬁle management simpliﬁed
• Dock: program access, ﬁle shortcuts, and more
• Menu bar: one menu bar, shared by all programs
• Exposé & Spaces: window management, virtual desktop management
• Dashboard: “widgets” run in background, at-a-glance information and more
• A full set of default programs
• Address Book, Automator, Calculator, Chess, Dictionary, DVD Player, Font Book, Front Row, iCal, iChat,
Mail, Photo Booth, Preview, QuickTime, Safari, TextEdit, and other utilties
5. How do I...
If it’s not already enabled, click
the  Menu, then System
Preferences, choose Keyboard &
Mouse, then click the Trackpad
(or Mouse) tab.
You’ll be able to tap the trackpad with two
ﬁngers if tapping is enabled,
6. How do I...
install or uninstall
• Open the .dmg ﬁle you
• Drag the app icon to your
/Applications folder OR
• Double-click the installer and
follow the steps shown.
7. How do I... burn CDs & DVDs?
Use burn folders. Right-click in a Finder window or the desktop, and choose New Burn Folder. Name it
what you want, drag your ﬁles inside of it, click the folder’s Burn button, and pop in your blank disc.
8. How do I...
preview a ﬁle?
Leopard has a nifty feature called
Quick Look. Highlight the ﬁle you
want to preview, and tap the
How do I...
Windows CTRL Key? Apple’s ⌘ key
⌘-W: close window
⌘-tab: the ‘alt-tab’ app switcher
(⌃ - ctrl key) (⌥ - alt key)
10. How do I...
set my wallpaper
Either right-click the desktop and
choose Change Desktop
Background, or open System
Preferences from the  Menu
and choose Desktop & Screen
11. How do I...
start a video chat?
Set up your AIM account with
iChat’s wizard, and then click on
the camera icon next to your
buddy (who must also be using
iChat with AIM). Your video feed
can be seen by clicking the same
button by your buddy icon.
12. How do I...
• F9/F10/F11, by default
• Map screen corners, mouse
13. How do I...
take a screenshot?
Keyboard shortcuts for screenshots
are already enabled.
⌘-Shift-3: whole screen
⌘-Shift-4, then Space: window
14. How do I...
setup my Bearmail?
• Open Mail.app.
• Mail menu > Preferences...
• Accounts tab > + button.
• Follow the wizard on screen.
• If this is your ﬁrst time opening
Mail, the wizard is the ﬁrst
thing shown (see right).
15. How do I... setup my Bearmail?
Follow the steps shown. The Outgoing Mail Server step will give you an error
when you click Continue; just click continue again.
16. How do I... secure my Mac?
Password-protect your Account. Set your Security preferences. Set a Firmware Password.
System Preferences > Accounts > Change Password. System Preferences > Security. Insert your boot DVD > Restart > Hold “C” key after
chime > Utilities menu > Firmware Password Utility.
17. How do I...
print to PDF?
In any program, choose to Print,
then just click the PDF button.
18. How do I...
connect to the
Open Network Preferences from
your AirPort menu. Click AirPort
on the left, then click the
(Continued on next slide.)
19. How do I...
connect to the
On the 802.1X tab, click the plus
button and add a User Proﬁle.
Name it access 30, ﬁll in your
private ID & password, and
access 30 below your password.
Make sure PEAP is the only box
checked, then click OK. That’s it!
20. Select the text you want it to say,
How do I... click the application menu,
make my Mac speak? choose Services > Speech >
Start Speaking Text.
21. How do I...
take my picture?
It’s as easy as using Photo
Booth. Just pose, click the
button, and snap!
22. How do I...
speed up my Mac?
• Buy more RAM; 2-4GB is good
• Use a maintenance app often
• Repair permissions
• Defragmenting not usually
necessary unless working with
very large ﬁles (raw video)
23. How do I...
know when to buy a
Use the MacRumors.com Buyers’
24. How do I...
software on my Mac?
• Windows API Wrapping
• Native booting
• Come to the ETC Session on
Dual Boot: Windows & Mac
OS X: The Best of Both
• Thursday, 4pm in 101
26. How do I... get more help?
• Apple Support (http://apple.com/support) / Apple Discussions (http://discussions.apple.com)
• Mac OS X Hints (http://macosxhints.com/)
• The Unofﬁcial Apple Weblog (http://tuaw.com/)
• Google Mac Search (http://google.com/mac/)
• Macworld (http://macworld.com/)
• MyFirstMac (http://myﬁrstmac.com/)