In the preliminary task my target audience was specified more so than with the main task. Due to the magazine having a diverse psychographic target audience I chose a non-controversial style, so I didn't discriminate or exclude particular psychographic groups. For the main task I got to aim my magazine at a very specific psychographic audience. This meant the fonts, photography and format could have more identity.
For the main task I researched existing magazines and publishers to help me develop my ideas to target my audience. This also helped me gain a more professional layout/design.
The preliminary task allowed my to experiment with technologies that I hadn’t used before. I chose to use a variety of fonts and techniques which I then refined for the main task. I decided the variety of techniques used on the front cover of “Class” deducts from the photo too much for the target audience of “Effigy”, also it looks a little amateur, so I chose only one font displayed in a uniformed layout. The preliminary task help me gain more confidence when using Photoshop so I could experiment more with image effects to allow the magazine to look more artistic.
I was not very competent with Photoshop for the preliminary task, therefore I sought advice from my teacher, especially when it came to understanding layers and how to achieved the desired image effects. In the main task I still needed advice as I wanted to improve the finish of my magazine and learn new ways to make the magazine more individual, however the advice I received during the preliminary task made me more confident and independent throughout the task.
I wanted to achieve a professional finish with my main task to improve the retail ability of the product. This meant I had to pay more attention to detail. I found the main issue with trying to achieve a high end finish, was cropping and blending the images seamlessly on the front over, this was especially difficult with the black background and the nature of the models hair. I did not overcome these issues with the preliminary task as I left the model on her original backdrop.
As there was no double paged spread involved in the preliminary task I did not experiment with my journalistic skills too much. However the cover lines are vital to attract the specific audience. I used rhetorical questions and promises on the college magazine, as it is vital the college audience know the content of the magazine. I change my journalistic style for the main task as I believe my audience would be more attracted to the magazine for artistic, stylistic reasons rather than promises etc. which can seem a little gimmicky.