Inland seaport Szczecin <ul><li>Chief seaport of Pomerania including such important historical monuments as the Castle of the Pomeranian Princes, Gothic Cathedral of St James, Loitz family house, town hall, Harbor Gate and the Maidens Tower. Currently the castle is a vibrant cultural centre that features music concerts, international festivals as well as art and historical exhibitions. Szczecin is also a sailing centre with lakes and forests within the city limits (Lake Dąbie, Beech Forest). </li></ul>
Castle of the Pomeranian Princes Darłowo Once a prosperous medieval Hanseatic port, Darłowo has a Gothic castle of the Pomeranian princes, many times expanded, surrounded by a moat, with a tall gate tower. It is now a Regional Museum. The city has retained its medieval urban layout. It still has the familiar chessboard of streets, and historic buildings dating back to the 300 years of the Pomeranian princes' rule. Several dozen of old houses in the city centre, one of them from the 15 th c. In Darłówko, Darłowo's waterfront suburb is a unique pedestrian drawbridge and a lighthouse.
Organ musie concerts Kamień Pomorski <ul><li>Picturesquely located upon the Kamień Lagoon, the city boasts many historical monuments including the Gothic cathedral (12 th -13 th cc.) with its sumptuous 17 th -century organ with mobile figures. The Festival of Organ and Chamber Music takes place annually from mid-June to late August. Kamień Pomorski has a health resort district with sanatoriums where motoric problems, rheumatic conditions and circulatory deceases are treated with use of the local therapeutic mud and saline water springs. </li></ul>
Seaside resort and spa Kołobrzeg <ul><li>Well-known summer resort and port on the Baltic Sea coast. Heavily destroyed during WWII, the Old Town of Kołobrzeg has been carefully restored. Pride of the place is the 14 th -century Gothic cathedral. Located on the water front, the spa district of Kołobrzeg has 30 sanatoriums and spa hospitals. Motoric problems, rheumatic conditions and circulatory deceases are treated here with use of the local therapeutic mud and saline brine. </li></ul>
Carefully reconstructed from the WWII damage, the town is famous for its historical monuments in Gothic style. The Old Town is encircled with medieval walls with towers and three gates. Late-Gothic town hall in the market square, baroque old houses. The town's pride is St Mary’s Church from the 13 th -century,latermany times remodelled. This twin-towered basilica is a good type of pseudo-cathedral, a parish church built on a cathedral layout by a rich and aspiring Hanseatic town. Hanseatic city Stargard Szczeciński
Beach resort on the Baltic Sea with ruins of a Gothic church perched on the high cliff and known as the Bride of the Sea. Only a tiny fragment of the building's southern wall remained of the original brick church (15 th c.) erected 2 km from the seashore. in the mid-19 th -century only one meter separated the church wall from the sea waves. The church was then closed and its historical baroque high alter was transferred to the cathedral in Kamień Pomorski. In summer Trzęsacz can be reached by the old narrow-gauge train which starts at Gryfice, where the museum of the narrow-gauge railways is located. Bride of the Sea Trzęsacz
Poland s largest island. Its most scenic part constitutes the Wolin National Park with four post-glacial lakes and characteristic sandy cliff nearly 100 m high in places. The flora of the park includes such rare plant species as orchids, sea-holly and common honeysuckle. The park's rich bird life (200 species) is represented by the bald eagle, ruff and mute swan. There is a small bison reserve inside the park. Otter and ermine can also be encountered. Międzyzdroje, Wisełka and Międzywodzie are the major holiday centers, while the town of Wolin hosts the Festival of Vikings every summer. Seashore cliff Wolin Island
The Szczecin Lagoon (952 sq km) takes in all the Odra River's waters and carries them into the Baltic Sea. Ports of Trzebież, Wolin, Stepnica and Nowe Warpno sit on the Szczecin Lagoon banks. The lagoon is a popular sailing centre. It hosts the annual Bald Eagle Survival Event which. is a combination of hiking tour along the Wolin National Park trails with biking and kayaking through canals and flood waters of the Old Świna and Lake Wicko. The competition includes special tasks such as diving, rope glides, pontoon maneuvering and the like. Paradise for sailors Szczecin lagoon
The most attractive monuments are found along the Royal Way, including Long Street (ul. Długa) and Long Market (Długi Targ) lined up with richly ornamented old houses and public historical buildings. The Gothic town hall houses the Historical Museum of Gdansk. The showpiece is a carillon, a replica of the 13 th century instrument. The Artus Court, one of the most magnificent building of this type in Europe. The Neptune Fountain - a symbol of Gdansk. On the Motława River waterfront stands the conspicuous Gdansk Crane - the biggest port crane in medieval Europe. The Gothic St Mary's Church is the largest old brick church in Europe (view from the tower) which can seat 25,000 people. Worth a visit are the Gothic St Catherine's Church and the Oliwa Cathedral famous for its 18 th century organ. The Oliwa monastery buildings shelter interesting museums. The Monument to The Shipyard Workers was erected in memory of the workers killed in the December riots of 1970. Addition attractions of Gdansk include sandy beaches, sea cruises and a wealth of cultural events: international organ festivals, street fairs, parades, shows of street theatres. City of the Solidarity Gdańsk
The Gothic Teutonic Knights' castle stands on the hilltop, erected in 1395-1407, later remodeled. Its rectangular construction is surrounded by high walls topped with corner towers. The castle contains a museum of folk art and argilcultural tools. Its premises are used for the organization of knights' tournaments, Kashubian culture festivals and chamber music recitals. It houses a hotel and a restaurant. The village of Bytów has St George's Church (16 th c.) decorated inside by folk artists and an old railway bridge from the 19 th century. Teutonic Knights' castle and museum Bytów
The panoramic view of the city is best admired from Mt Kamienna. Tourist usually flock to Kosciuszko Square and the Southern Pier where two museum ships are moored: the frigate Dar Pomorza and the destroyer Błyskawica. The Oceanographic Museum and Aquarium with hundreds of fauna and flora exhibits is also located near the pier. Excellent conditions for practicing water sports. International sailing events; Gdynia Sailing Days, Cutty Surk Tail Ships Race. Lots of cultural events. Ships-museums and sea aquarium Gdynia
The cityscape is dominated by the Teutonic Knights' castle built in the 13 th century on rectangular plan, reshaped in the 16 th and 17 th centuries. Partly rebuilt after the fire in 1922, the castle houses a museum. It is surrounded by fragments of the defensive wall. A little way behind the castle stands the Marysieńki Palace (now a hotel) from the late 17 th century. The castle hosts numerous events, performances, historical shows, old music concerts and knights' tournaments. Historical shows Gniew
Castle and cathedral complex Kwidzyn The three-nave cathedral and the castle create a monumental complex of Gothic brick buildings. The castle erected on the rectangular plan was built in 1320-47. Partly destroyed in the 18 th century, it now houses a museum with several sections including medieval sacred art, regional folk crafts and natural history, particularly stuffed birds. The cathedral (14 th c.) has Gothic frescoes (14 th and 15 th cc.) and a fine vaulted ceiling in the main nave.
The brick castle of Malbork is the former seat of the Grand Master of the Teutonic Order, the biggest structure of that type in medieval Europe. It is registered on the UNESCO World Heritage List. The castle is encircled by defensive walls with gates and towers. The Grand Master's palace is believed to be the top achievement of the late-Gothic style. The representative summer refectory is the most attractive chamber in the castle interiors. Now a museum, the castle attracts tourists with open-air son et lumpier shows. Biggest medieval castle in Europe Malbork
A village near Czersk in the Tucholskie Forest. One of Poland's most important archaeological reserve of cromlechs is located nearby. It contains a cemetery dating back to the 1 st century, set up under Roman influence. There are tumuli, cromlechs (some of 30 m in diameter) and the so-called flat graves. They were left here by Goths traveling from Scandinavia towards the Black sea during the early centuries of our era. Similar graveyard is located several dozen kilometers north at Węsiory. Archaeological reserve of cromlechs Odry near Czersk
Pride of the place is the monumental Gothic cathedral, one of the most sumptuous Cistercian basilicas in Poland. It has Gothic, Renaissance and baroque interior decorations. Its late-Renaissance high alter is Poland's largest and is believed to be the largest timber alter in Central Europe. The monastic buildings contain Gothic frescoes (15 th c). The Diocesan Museum houses rich collection of sacral art including a Gutenberg bible printed in 1453 and two Gothic figures of Our Lady. Cistercian cathedral and Gutenberg bible Pelplin
Attractive holiday centre, seaside resort and spa. Many fine villas from the 19 th and 20 th centuries are kept in the Art Nouveau or eclectic style. Sopot’s main pedestrian mall is ul. Bohaterow Monte Cassino which leads tourists to Poland’s longest pier (512m) and the sandy beach. The Northern Baths are a good example of old spa buildings raised in 1907. Sopot is known for its International Song Festival and a great number of sports and cultural events. Seaside resort with the longest wooden pier Sopot
A city with many historical monuments. On the riverfront stands the Gothic Castle of the Pomeranian Princes reshaped in the Renaissance style. It houses the Museum of Central Pomerania with interesting collections, including the tin sarcophagi of the Pomeranian princes and Poland's largest collection of Stanisław Ignacy Witkiewicz's paintings. Close to the castle stands the Gothic Mill Gate (ca 1400) and one of Poland's oldest mills (1320), now a section of the ethnographic museum. Fragments of defensive walls (15 th c). Gothic castle and museum Słupsk
Forests and lakes !,calli.Ti;d amidst post-glacial hills make this region particularly attractive. The most captivating part of the region is the Kashubian Lakeland with river routes convenient for kayaking and lakes suitable for sailing. The Kashubian region is famous for its folk art, especially for handicrafts. The Kashubian folk culture can be best admired in the open-air ethnographic park at Wdzydze Kiszewskie. The region offers a great number of folklore events including fairs and folk art shows. 1 nterest-ing ceramic ware and other folk art products can be seen and purchased at Chmielno. Unique Kashubian folklore Kashubian Lakeland
The park was included in UNESCO's 1977 list of world Biosphere Reserves. With the forest gone, huge shifting dunes came into being and they are the greatest attraction of the park. Half of the park's area is occupied by Lakes Łebsko and Gardno. It has fauna and flora typical for seacoast areas. Best views can be enjoyed from the lighthouse on the Czołpino dune and from the tower on Mt Rowokól. The village of Kluki has a skansen — the open-air museum of the regional rural architecture. Folk shows are often organized to let the visitors see the local people's crafts, technologies and ways of living. Shifting dunes Słowński National Park
The forested dunes and large sandy beaches are a dominating element in the local landscape. Europe's largest cormorant habitat is found in the Kąty Rybackie reserve. Krynica Morska is the main tourist centre. Pleasure boat cruises are available. The lowland area at the mouth of the Vistula is known as the 2ulawy Region. Tourists can enjoy trails running along numerous canals. Their attractiveness is enhanced by old hydro technical facilities such as draw bridges, locks, dams and pump stations. Vistula Sand-Bar and the Żuławy Region
This name is often given to the region of Central Pomerania stretching between Łeba and Darlowo. The rural architecture here is dominated by the timber-framed constructions. Some 2,500 buildings of that type, erected between the 16 th and 20 th centuries, are preserved in the region. The village of Swołowo on the list of Europe's cultural heritage is the showpiece of the chequered land, but timbered-framed buildings can also be seen in Zalesie, Duninów, Objazda as well as in the skansen of Kluki. Chequered Land Swołowo and Kluki
The park encompasses the Hel Peninsula and the shoreline of the Puck Bay. This region is very popular with tourists, and the most frequented spots are those of Władysławo, Chałupy, Kuźnica, Jastarnia, Jurata and Hel. To the church fair in Puck the pilgrims arrive through the water way. Tourists can visit the lighthouse of the Rozewie Cape near Władyslawo that houses a small museum dedicated to lighthouse business. Seaside resorts on the Hel Peninsula Sea Coast Landscape Park
This old city picturesquely set on the hills upon the Łyna River has eleven lakes within its limits and 21% of its area is covered by woods. The Warmia and Masuria Regional Museum is housed in the Gothic castle of the Warmia Bishops which once served as a home for Nicolaus Copernicus. His room contains a biographical display. Summer concerts of organ music are held in the Gothic St James' cathedral. Olsztyn's other attractions include a planetarium and an astronomical observatory. Capital city of the region with thousands of lakes Olsztyn
Here Nicolaus Copernicus lived and worked for mar years, and died. Once a medieval stronghold, the Cathedrals Hill, holds all the major attractions. To the oldest buildings belongs the monumental brick cathedral s rounded by defensive walls and the Old Bishops' Pal; (14 th c.) which now houses the Copernicus Museum. The hill offers a sweeping view over the Vistula Lagoon and Sand-Bar. Frombork is an important sailing and ice-boating centre. The international festival of organ musk is held every year. Copernicus museum and the cathedral hill Frombork
Hitler's headquarters at Gierłoż known as the Wolfs Lair is one of the most sinister places in the region, but it attracts many tourists because of its legendary climate. The fortress is composed of 80 buildings, 50 of them are bunkers. The headquarters had its own electric power generator, railway station and an air-strip. Quarters of the top Nazi officials as well as casino and cinema were located in the central part of the compound. The whole area was camouflaged, protected by wire entanglements and mine fields. Retreating in 1945, the Germans dynamited the fortress. Its ruins are available for visitors. Wolf’s Lair - Hitler's headquarters Gierłoż
Here, on 15 July 1410, the combined Polish, Lithuanian and Russian forces under King Władysław Jagiełło defeated the army of the Teutonic Knights. Guided tours of the museum and the Grunwald battlefield include the granite monument, ruins of the chapel raised after the battle and the Jagiełło mound. On weekend closest to the battle anniversary various celebrations are organized and they include an enactment of the battle, military and scout commemorations, knights tournaments, fair and concerts . Enactment of the biggest medieval battle Grunwald
A holiday centre on the Vistula Lagoon with magnificent palatial complex erected in the 17 th and enlarged in the 18 th century. Kaiser Wilhelm II was one of its owners. Today the palace contains an elegant hotel, and the former farm buildings are used by the state stud farm. Enthusiasts of horses can take riding lessons or go for a cart or carriage ride through the scenic countryside. Palatial complex and the stud farm Kadyny
The former seat of the Warmia bishops and the capital or the region, Lidzbark Warmiń s ki`s pride is the bishops' castle. One part of it called przedzamcze contains a baroque palace. Through the bridge over the moat visitors enter the Gothic, well-preserved castle from the 14 th century. Its chapel has sumptuous rococo interior decorations. Today the castle houses the Warmian Museum with a rich collection of sacral art. On the hilltop stands the neo-classical bishops' palace surrounded by a park. Nicolaus Copernicus lived in the castle in 1503-10. Monumental medieval castle Lidzbark Warmiński
It is know for the castle with its rectangular courtyard erected by the Teutonic Knights in the 14 th century. The western wing is ornamented with gables, while the castle chapel and the refectory have fragments of frescoes from the 15 th century. Now the castle contains a museum and a hotel. Nearby fragments of fortified city walls with two Teutonic Knights' castle Nidzica
One of Poland's biggest skansens was arranged in Olsztynek in 1938. It was started with copies of farm timber houses brought from Koningsberg. Today the scenic open-air ethnographic park features several dozen original and reconstructed houses from Warmia, Masuria and even Lithuania. Visitors can admire half-timbered houses, granaries, wind-mills, farm outbuildings, a country-inn, a church, all fully equipped and with animals which made the whole experience very realistic. Skansen - open-air ethnographic museum Olsztynek
Reszel is a small market town with many well-preserved historic buildings. Its narrow streets are lined with eclectic old houses, in the market square stands the 19 th century town hall and the Gothic bridges span the banks of the river. The most attractive is the two-winged brick bishops' castle (14 th -16 th cc.) with its round tower, soaring neo-Gothic pinacle and a solid gate leading into the cobble stoned courtyard. Today the castle contains a gallery of modern art. Bishops' castle Reszel
Its Jesuit monastic complex is considered the most beautiful baroque construction in Poland. A baroque gateway (18 th c.) leads visitors and pilgrims into the Marian sanctuary. The three-nave basilica has a very impressive and richly adorned interior. Built in 1721, its baroque organ has figures of saints and angels that can be put in motion by a special mechanism. The angel on the central tower plays a mandolin, while the cherubs turnaround. Poland's magnificent baroque Świeta Lipka
Built in the 19th century the canal today is a historic monument of hydrographical art and a real tourist attraction. From the technical point of view, it is one of the most interesting navigation routes in Europe. The canal deals with the 99.5m difference in water levels by means of a system of slipways, locks, dams and safety gates. Five slipways permit for carrying boats across dry land on rail-mounted trolleys. The length of the canal is 80km, and it takes 11 hours to get from one end to another. However, if time presses one can get off the boat at Małdyty and make the trip 50% shorter. By ship over dry land Elbląg Canal
The Krutynia River waterway is the most beautiful kayaking route in Poland. It begins at Sorkwity and ends where the river flows into the Bełdany Lake. The trail takes you through 17 lakes and some streams of the Pisz Forest. Poland's most attractive kayaking trail Krutynia River Tourists stay in touch with unspoilt nature, admiring aquatic flora and fauna, watching mute swans, the biggest European birds, and traveling across multiple nature reserves.
With wind in your sails Great Masurian Lakes The complex of Poland's largest lakes is set in the beautiful landscape. The lakes have diversified shoreline and are a real paradise for sailors and anglers. Interconnected by rivers, canals and locks, they create a unique inland navigation route and are very popular with water sports fans. Sailing routes 'are particularly attractive. The region is a habitat of many aquatic birds. The 1-uknajno Lake reserve found its way onto UNESCO's list of world Biosphere Reserves. Tourist are not allowed into the reserve, but they can watch birds from many observation towers.
The place is known for its highest viaducts in Poland that were once a part of the local railway system. The arcaded constructions are 3m high and 150m long, and were erected in 1926. They resemble ancient aqueducts thanks to their pillars and open-work railings. The pillars were built of timber logs set in concrete. The area is suitable for water sports, hiking, biking and cross-country skiing. The highest viaducts Stańczyki
The small village of Wojnowo sitting at the edge of the Pisz Forest has Poland's only convent of the Starowiercy, or Old Believers, erected in mid-19 th century. A modest gate leads into the yard lined with monastic and charring buildings. The promontory running into Lake Duś is occupied by a small Orthodox cemetery overgrown with trees and dotted with old crosses. In the village is the small Old Believers' timber church (molenna) with interesting iconostasis, and a few old houses. Old Believers' monastery Wojnowo
The village shelters a Marian sanctuary known as Polish Lourdes, visited by many pilgrims. The 15 th century church was enlarged in the 19 th century in neo-Gothic style. It holds a miraculous picture of Our Lady with Child from the 16 th century. The local Karczma Warmińska inn features specialties of the regional cuisine. Poland's Lourdes Gietrzwałd
The major part of the forest is occupied by the Białowieza National Park, a strict nature reserve which was entered on UNESCO's list of world Biosphere Reserves and that of World Cultural Heritage as well. The oldest primeval forest in Europe, the park's strict nature reserved can only be entered with a guide. Białowieza is famous for its bison reserve, where the animals are bred in their natural habitat. In the demonstration section you can also see the zubroń, a cross between a bison and a cow, and the tarpan, a Polish cousin of the extinct wild Ukrainian steppe horses. A ride on a narrow-gauge train is a popular tourist attraction. The bison's habitat Białowieza Forest
Poland's only private safari zoo which can be only visited by bus or by car. There are sections representing wildlife of Africa (zebras, ostriches, antelopes gnu and eland), India (antelopes gnu and eland, axis deer) and Mongolia (Przewalski horses, yaks, bactrian camels). Zoo-safari Świerkocin
Tourists flock to the city centre where the Old Town Square contains a wealth of historical monuments and museums. The Renaissance town halt houses the Historical Museum of Poznań and the Museum of Musical Instruments is located nearby. Not far from the square stands the parish church, one of Poland's most impressive baroque buildings with rich interior decorations. Organ concerts. The former royal castle located on the hilltop houses the Museum of Decorative Arts, and on the hill's slope the baroque Franciscan church was erected. Cradle of the Polish state Poznań In 966, the Ostrów Tumski Island witnessed the baptism of the first Polish ruler, Mieszko I. The vaults of the Gothic cathedral hide the remains of the old churches (10 th -11 th cc.) and of the tombs belonging to the first Piasts. In addition to the famous international trade fairs, Poznań is known for its rich cultural life secured by the opera house, Polish Dance Theatre, other theatres and cabarets, men's and boys' choirs, annual Wieniawski international violin competition and the Malta international theatre festival. The city has a number of rest and recreation grounds on the lakes (Malta, Strzeszynek, Kiekrz), regatta fairway and the Malta water-skiing cent open throughout the year.
The highest building in Warsaw, the Palace of Culture and Science in the city's centre is a gift from the Soviet Union. From the terrace on the 30 th floor enfolds a splendid, panoramic view over the city and its environs. Warsaw hosts many top-class cultural events: Jazz Jamboree, Warsaw Autumn, Mozart Festival, and the Chopin Piano Com-petition every fifth year. Poland's capital Warsaw Totally destroyed during WWII, the Old Town and the Royal Castle were reconstructed and found their way on UNESCO' World Cultural Heritage list. Very popular with tourists are the Old Town Square lined with burgher houses, Royal Castle, Barbican and the Gothic St John's Cathedral. Along the Royal Way visitors will find many old churches and palaces, including the Holy Cross Church where reposes the urn with Frederick Chopin’s heart. Worth a visit are two royal palace and park complexes: the Łazienki - summer residence of the last Polish king, and the baroque Wilanów- suburban residence of King Jan III Sobieski.
The Old Town Square was set up in the 13 th century and surrounded by burgher houses. The Gothic town hall was built in 1327-1504. It houses the city's historical museum. The Wroclaw University is the biggest baroque building in town. Its Aula Leopoldinum, the city's largest secular hall (late-17 th c.) is open for visitors. The Ostrów Tumski Island is the oldest part of the city. It shelters a complex of sacral buildings with the Gothic Cathedral of St John the Baptist (13 th 716 th cc). Splendid view from its tower lop. City of one hundred bridges Wrocław The monumental painting of the Panorama Racławicka, (120m x 15m) attract thousands of tourists. St Giles' Church is the oldest surviving church in Wroclaw. Its Romanesque one-pillar vaulting dates back to the early 12 th century. The Centenary Hall from 1913 was the world's first modernist structure made of Ferro-concrete. Attempts are made to get the Centenary Hall on UNESCO's World Heritage list. Wrocław's greatest cultural hit is its Wratislavia Cantans - International Oratorio & Cantata festival.
Spiritual capital of Poland Częstochowa Often called the spiritual capital of Poland, Czestochowa attracts pilgrims and tourists from the whole world, who flock to the Marian shrine located in the Pauline monastery on Jasna Góra (Bright Mountain).The Chapel of the Miraculous Picture contains the icon of the Virgin Mary with the Christ child known as the Black Madonna which pulls in millions of pilgrims every year. The monastic museum are full of art pieces and votive offerings. From Czestochowa, tourist can continue through the Kraków-Częstochowa Upland, suitable for hiking, climbing, biking and horseback riding.
The Old Town complex together with the Wawel Hill are on UNESCO' World Heritage list. The medieval urban layout of the Old Town has not changed for centuries. Every visitor to Cracow should see Europe's largest medieval market square, St Mary's Church with its Gothic pentaptych altarpiece carved in limewood, the Wawel with the royal castle and the cathedral with its outstanding Renaissance chapel, the medieval university building of Collegium Maius with its unique collection of astronomical instruments. The suburban Benedictine abbey of Tyniec (11 th c.) is waiting to be entered on the UNESCO's World Heritage list. Historical capital of Poland Cracow The Jewish quarter of Kazimierz features a wealth of Jewish heritage with its 16 th century cemetery and seven synagogues of which one houses the Jewish museum. Each summer the Jewish Culture Festival is held and attracts Jewish culture lovers from the whole world. They can enjoy music concerts, theatrical performances, exhibitions, lectures, art and dance workshops, and have a wonderful time on the closing day of the festival when a great concert takes place on ul Szeroka, ending the event's festivities late at night. Other cultural events held in Cracow each year attract thousands of visitors.
The birthplace of Pope John Paul II is visited by Polish and foreign tourists and pilgrims. The basilica has the 15 th century presbytery and the baptismal font by which little Karol Wojtyła was baptized. His family house has been turned into a museum. Pope's town Wadowice
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.