at an MDC Library:
Articles & Databases
Kristy Padron, MLIS
Miami Dade College
Learning Resources – Library
Finding Articles &
What is a database?
In the library field, a database is an online
collection of publications such as e-
Books, magazines, and journals.
Databases can be used to find articles.
MDC Learning Resources provides databases to
Databases can be used on or off campus!
• Go to the MDC Learning Resources home page at
• Select the Libraries link to get to this page.
• To use a database, go the MDC Learning Resources
home page and select Articles/Databases.
• Select Databases by Subject to find recommended
databases for a subject area.
• Or, go to Databases A-Z for a complete list.
• Since databases are available only to MDC students and
employees, authentication is required.
• Your borrower ID is your student number on your
MDCard; it has the letter followed by 8 digits (eg.,
• The PIN is the last 4 digits of your student number.
• Select Log In to continue.
• Here is the list of databases.
• Scroll down the page or use the A-Z letters to get to a
• For general news and journal articles, try Academic
• For reports on specific topics, try CQ Researcher or
Opposing Viewpoints in Context.
• Select the name of the database to start a search for
articles (we will try Academic Search Complete).
• Enter your topic in the search box. Sometimes, alternate
topics may appear.
• Next, select Search.
• A list of articles will appear.
• Read the summaries of the article along with its
bibliographic information (name of article, author, journal)
to evaluate its usefulness.