2. Icongraphy….Visually- dark dull color such as black and red which is the conations of evil, blood and death.Which is typically used conventions of horror!Lighting is usually low key to emphasis the shadows more effectively! Lighting is effective mostlyin horrors due to fires… and street light while people are walking alone again to show theshadows!Props are usually used by the killer of the usually typical horror film such asknifes, chainsaws, machetes and costumes… these immediately relate to the genre horror! Andshow the props are going to be used through the film.Monsters are typically used the iconography of monsters help to connate extreme fear the usualtypical monsters vampires werewolves mummies a good example of this is Frankenstein
3. Visual style…..Clothes are normally dirty and torn. The killer ina horror is normally wearing clothing and masksto disguise themselves.Weapons are often used such as bloody knifes,guns etc.
4. Characters…. There is always the usually typical characters you expect in a film such a monsters, ghosts, murderer, convicts, zombies, mentally disturbed and sometime even animals. There is nearly always a dumb character that falls in the trap or gets captured at the beginning of the film to provide entertainment to the audience. Clever character who finds out clues and avoids the killer Main character that is wanted and hunted down by the killer The rescuer that helps out The girl who doesn’t get killed and makes it all the way to the end of the killer.
5. Setting….Mainly occurs on dark nights – more suspense and scares the audienceUsually dark places, old and creaky , abandoned places in the middleof no where. Damaged or braking down buildings.The setting helps create the mood and build up suspense especiallywhen someone is getting killed in a dark place than a light place as youdon’t know who it is in a dark place.Some examples of places• Grave yard• Fields• Woods• School• Old farm yards.
6. Narrative…..• Horror is based up on the conflict and dilemmas the main characters endure. From the main set of characters there are several character types chosen. The hero or the heroine the evil characters and the supporting characters. Horror is meant to address the viewer the the expectation that the viewer will identify with the hero.
7. Themes…..• Good vs. evil• Religion• Depressing• Childhood issues• Revenge• Supernatural• Beyond death• Suicide• Flashbacks• Envy• Lust• Insanity.