“ Production management deals with the decision making related to production process of that the resulting goods and service is produced according to specifications in the amounts and at the scheduled demanded and at minimum cost ” –S. Buffa
It is connected with the production of goods or marketing of products. It also include:
Decision related to:
Product type etc.
2. Research & Development, Design of the product.
2. Ancillary Function It Includes all those activities which support or smoothen production function. Related to: Production Planning & Control Maintenance & Store-Keeping Purchase & Material Handling
3. Advisory Function It helps in improving Production Function.
Types Of Production: 1. Job Production: It involves the procedures of manufacturing a product according to a specific customer order. Generally non-standard & heterogeneous in nature.
Supply of components to a large manufacturer,
Provisions of one particular area of production to a large one.
Advantage of large scale production may not be achieved.
Irregular in demand for some products.
Inefficient use of labour & equipment .
2. Batch Production It refers to repetitive production of goods, the quality of which is known in advance. In this system the work is divided into operations & one operation is done at a time.
Work is of a Repetitive nature,
A functional lay out of various manufacturing processes.
Similar machines are arranged at one place
One operation is carried out on whole batch & then it is passed on to the next operation.
3. Mass or Flow Production It is also called on-line mass production and continuous production, refers to the production on a large scale to provide a continuous supply. It is the manufacture of a product by a series of operations, each article going on to a succeeding operation as soon as possible. The flow of production is continuous & progressive.