2. titleBLU-RAY<br />Submitted by<br />S. SARITHA<br />HTNO:3609126<br />Under the Guidance of<br />Mrs. A. PRASMITHA,M-Tech<br />
3. INTRODUCTION<br />In 1997, a new technology emerged that brought digital sound and video into homes all over the world. It was called DVD, and it revolutionized the movie industry.<br />The industry is set for yet another revolution with the introduction of Blu-ray Discs (BD). With their high storage capacity, Blu-ray discs can hold and play back large quantities of high-definition video and audio, as well as photos, data and other digital content.<br />Now we see how the Blu-ray disc works and how it was developed, and we’ll see how it stacks up against some other new digital video formats on the horizon<br />
4. DEFINITION<br />Blu-Ray is the next- generation digital video disc(DVD). It can record , store and play back high-definition video and digital audio, as well as computer data. <br />
5. TYPES<br />1.A single-layer Blu-ray disc :<br /> Which is roughly the same size as a DVD, can hold up to 27 GB of data-that’s more than two hours of high-defination video or more than 13 hours of standard video.<br />2.A Double-layer Blu-ray disc :<br /> It can store about 50 GB,enough to hold 4.5 hours of high-defination video or 63 hours of standard video. and there are even plans in the works to develop a disc with twice that amount storage. <br />
6. FEATURES<br />Blu-ray Vs DVD Capacity:<br /> Blu-ray discs not only have more storage capacity than traditional DVDs, but they also offer a new level of interactive. Users will be able to connect to the internet and instantly download subtitles and other interactive movie features.<br />Blu-ray Work:<br />Discs store digitally encoded video and audio information in Pits - spiral grooves that run from the center of the disc to its edges. A laser reads and other side of these pits – the bumps – to play the movie or program that is stored on the DVD. <br />
7. BLU-RAY DEVELOPMENT<br />Blu-ray was the brain child of not one, but 10 companies. The Blu-ray Disc Founders, as the consortium is called, includes some of the biggest names in consumer electronics and media. <br />
8. THE BLU-RAY DISC FOUNDERS(BDF):<br />Hitachi, Ltd.<br />LG Electronics Inc.<br />Mistubishi Electric Corp.<br />Pioneer Corp.<br />Royal Philips Electronics.<br />Samsung Electronics Co.Ltd.<br />Sony corporation.<br />Thomson Multimedia.<br />
9. COMPETITORS<br />Blu-ray Vs Other New Disc Formats:<br /> <br />Will Blu-ray replace previous DVDs.Its manufacturers hope so. But Blu-ray is not alone in the marketplace. A few other formats are competing for a share of the DVD market.<br /> Unlike DVDs and CDs, which started with read-only formats and only later added recordable and re-writable formats, Blu-ray is initially designed in several different formats:<br />BD-ROM (read only) – for pre-recorded content<br />BD-R (recordable) – for PC data storage<br />BD-RW (rewritable) – for PC data storage<br />BD-RE (rewritable) – for HDTV recording<br />
10. ADVANTAGES<br /><ul><li>Record high-definition television (HDTV) without any quality loss.
11. Instantly skip to any spot on the disc.
12. Record one program while watching another on the disc.
13. Create play lists.
14. Edit or reorder programs recorded on the disc.
15. Automatically search for an empty space on the disc to avoid recording over a program.
16. Access the web download subtitles and other extra features.</li></ul> <br />
17. DIS ADVANTAGES<br />1. HD versus capacity.<br /> Although Blu-ray is capable of anywhere from 50 GB of storage to 200 GB, as it stands the average Blu-ray disc can't hold much more than four or five hours of high definition content. That means you won't be watching the entire Buffy the Vampireseries on one disc atleast,notinHD.2. Movie support, thus far. <br />At this point, Blu-ray titles have yet to floor anyone. Not in a good way, at least. When initially released, Blu-ray attempted to woo consumers with awfully big pockets by presenting them with…”The Fifth Element”? Yeah, it wasn't a half bad movie, but when pushing a player that expensive, let's at least get some new or classic material.<br />
18. CONCLUSION<br />Blu-ray recorders are already available in Japan, where more consumers have access to HDTV than in the United States. Outside of Japan, once more TV sets come equipped with a high-definition tuner and more films and television shows are produced in high definition (which is expected to happen by late 2005 or 2006), Blu-ray movies and TV shows on disc should become widely available. But the format is already available for home recording, professional recording and data storage. <br /> <br />