What is Clothing?
Articles worn to cover the body: apparel,
attire, clothes, dress, garment, habiliment,
raiment. Informal: dud, tog. Slang: thread.
(Thesaurus Dictionary )
Why wear clothing?
A few reasons…
• To avoid bodily harm
• Modesty and Privacy: cover own private parts
• Socially unacceptable to go nude in public
• To avoid tempting another to sin, cause an
problematic situation or harassment
Clothing in the Qur’an
“O children of Adam! We have sent down
to you clothing to cover your nakedness
and as an adornment, however, the best
clothing is the clothing of piety. This is one
of Allah’s revelations so that the people
may learn a lesson.”
(Translated by Muhammad Farooq-i-Azam Malik, Surah A'araf, Verse 26, Qur’an)
Points to Ponder Upon
The most important points in the Hadith (narrative) of
Prophet Mohammad regarding dressing are:
1) The clothes should conceal the body adequately.
2) They should impart dignity and good looks.
3) They should not fail to satisfy the requirements of
adequate concealment of the body.
4) A woman must ensure that her clothing does not
resemble that of men and vice-versa.
5) Nor should they be so ugly and clumsy that they mar the
6) Establish Islamic Identity.
Men and Women Clothing
• For Men, it is obligatory to cover middle part of the body
from navel to knee.
• For women, it is obligatory to cover the entire body
except hands and face.
• These parts must never be exposed to any other person
of the opposite sex (other than to a close family
member- a mahram, or except in case of genuine need
e.g. medical treatment).
• The cloth must be neither see-through nor tight fitting.
• Men are prohibited from wearing gold, or silk.
• Moreover, when in presence of person of the same sex,
rules regarding covering of awrah are relaxed, but still
God mentions in the Qur'an:
“O Prophet, tell thy wives and thy daughters
and the women of the believers to draw
over them their cloaks (veils). That in the
least so that they be recognized and not be