What is Identity Theft?
Using someone else’s personal
and/or financial information in order
to take on their identity and commit
crimes such as fraud
Identity Theft: Problem and Solutions
• Identity Theft as a Social Problem
• Negative Effects
• Technological and non-technological
• Affects millions annually and costs
billions of dollars
• Audience survey: most of you have
suffered effects of identity theft in some
• Drained bank account
• Stolen tax refund
• Give your name during
• Get treatment using your
Image credit: http://www.identity-theft-scout.com/identity-theft-
• Like other theft: greed
• Data breaches
• Using unsecured wireless
• Stolen wallet or laptop
• Improperly disposing of
Image credit: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/9-ways-prevent-identity-theft-online-
What’s the Solution? Prevention!
• Third parties work to prevent identity theft
• Steps that individuals can take:
• Monitor bank and credit statements
• Shred personal/financial documents
• Avoid unsecured wireless networks
• Use strong, unique passwords for each
• Pay attention to phishing emails/texts
• Avoid carrying important documents with you
• Use Paypal and
• Make use of fraud
monitoring by banks
and/or credit companies
• Buy a shredder
• Continue to protect
yourself and your
others to do the same.
Image credit: http://www.identitytheftpreventiontips.com/how-to-avoid-
• Identity theft is a social problem
• Affects millions and costs billions annually
• Negative effects like drained bank account and tax
• Caused by negligence
• Prevention is the solution!
• Take steps to lock up your identity.
• Avoid the headache of dealing with the consequences
of identity theft by preventing it from happening in the
• Share tips with friends and family to stop identity
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.