MOHAMMAD YASIRMOHAMMAD YASIR
BBA(MANAGEMENT) 2BBA(MANAGEMENT) 2ndnd
INTEGRAL UNIVERSITYINTEGRAL UNIVERSITY
• Managerial process (planning,
organizing, staffing, leading and
• Directed at organization
resources (human, physical,
financial, information, etc)
• Participative management
• For the achievement of
• Efficient and effective
• Dynamic environment
Functions of management
Functions of management
• Planning is deciding in advance about
what to do, how to do it, when to do it,
and who is to do it.
• Process of establishing goals and
choosing a course of action for
achieving those goals.
• It includes: Decision making
• Determining how to group activities
• Includes grouping tasks, designing
creating channels of communication
and coordinating mechanisms.
• Acquiring, developing, utilizing and
maintaining people in the organization.
• Human resource management function in
• Manpower planning to determine
4. Leading/ Directing
• Influencing and motivating people to
perform tasks for goal achievement.
• Consists of: Leadership
• Monitoring and correcting ongoing
activities to facilitate goal achievement.
• Measurement and correction of
performance to achieve planned
Levels of managers
1. Top level managers
• Highest level of management
• Board Chairperson, Chief executive
officer, Managing Director, General
manager, President etc represent top
Functions of top level managers
• Define overall goals, objectives and
• Formulating policies and making plan to
• Setting up an organizational framework.
• Arranging required resources.
• Exercising the effective control.
• Represent the organization to the outside
• Providing good leadership.
2. Middle level managers
• Largest group of managers in most
• Create link between top level and lower
• Department managers, division head,
and plant superintendent represent
Functions of middle level
• Explains policies laid down by top level.
• Preparing organizational set up in their
• Selecting appropriate personnel.
• Assigning duties and responsibilities for
timely execution of plans.
• Issuing instruction to supervisors.
• Motivating personnel to achieve higher
• Coordinating with other department.
3. Lower level/ First line
• Hold entry level management position.
• Subordinate to middle managers.
• Supervisor, foreman, section head,
represent lower managers.
Functions of lower level
• Issue orders and instructions to
• Direct and guide the workers.
• Arrange the tools and equipment
• Maintain discipline among the
• Ensure inter-group coordination in
• Report performance and problems
of operative employees to middle
Types of managers
1. Generalist managers
• Direct jobs in a variety of functions
• In Nepal’s civil service, officers
holding the rank of Joint Secretary
are generalist managers.
2. Functional managers
• Specialize in one management area such
as production, marketing, finance,
human resource management.
• The duties, responsibilities and
authority of functional manager are
specified in the job description.
• In Nepal’s civil service, officers up to
the rank of under secretary are
3. Staff managers
• Possess expertise in their specialized
area of knowledge.
• Provide advice to functional and
• Legal advisor is an example of staff
Role of education
Role of experience
Natural ability, drive
Becoming a manager
1. Role of Education
• Sound education base
• Foundation for development of
• Continued life long education
• Familiar with current research
and thinking on management
• Attending various management
development programs like in
2. Role of Experience
• Initial jobs experiences
• Continued experiences through a
variety of job assignment
• Facing and meeting a variety of
• Development of management training
• Need to tackle and face various
• Subsequent progress by handling
various jobs so as to adopt with
• Need to acquire international expertise
for solving out the problem and
• Different situation needs different
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.