Naturalism – Quiz for The Open Boat and To Build a Fire
American Literature II
Match the correct word to its definition:
1. cessation ________ a. the upper edge of a ship’s or boat’s side
2. saffron ________ b. unsoundness or disorder of the mind
3. impetuous ________ c. a temporary or final ceasing
4. gunwale _________ d. a moderate orange to orange yellow
5. aberrations ________ e. marked by force and violence of movement
Use the following words from “To Build a Fire” correctly in an original sentence according to the
definition. Also, write the part of speech next to the word.
6. imperceptible - _______
7. recoiled - _______
8. chidden - _______
9. ensued - ________
10. imperative - ________
11. Naturalism attempts to apply __________________ principles of objectivity to its study of
12. Who ultimately does not survive the shipwreck? ________________________
13. Unlike Naturalism, Realism emphasizes the depiction of life _____________________.
14. What is the repeated phrase throughout The Open Boat? “If I am ____________________.
15. The plot technique in Naturalism consists of a panoramic drama of ____________________.
16. Name at least three major themes of naturalism:
Choose the best answer to the following questions:
17. Where does the story take place?
a. New York
b. North Dakota
c. The Yukon
18. At what temperature does the old-timer tell the man is it dangerous to travel alone?
a. Seventy degrees Fahrenheit below zero
b. Zero degrees Fahrenheit
c. Fifty degrees Fahrenheit below zero
d. Thirty-two degrees Fahrenheit
19. What kind of dog travels with the man?
a. An English Cocker Spaniel
b. A wolf
c. A hound
d. A husky
20. Why is the man’s beard colored amber?
a. Because his rum has run into it
b. Because his tobacco has run into it
c. It is the natural color
d. Because his food has run into it
21. What is the man fearful of as he walks along the trail?
a. Wet snow
d. Hidden springs
22. How, according to London, does the dog know about the danger of the cold?
a. It has lived in the cold for years
b. It has learned from the man
c. It has inherited knowledge of the cold
d. It has studied the land
23. Why does the second fire go out?
a. The snow falls out on it again
b. The man snuffs it out as he tries to protect it from a piece of moss
c. The man gets it wet
d. The dog runs over it
Bonus: (+2) – What did the man have for lunch?