The Rise of Realism (p. 417)
1. The new generation of writers that became popular after the civil war was known
as the _______________________.
2. Your book states that realists were writers who aimed at a “very minute fidelity” to
the common course of ordinary life. Describe what you think this means. (Use the
dictionary if you need to!)
5. Why is it appropriate that Douglass’ “The Battle with Mr. Covey” is in the realism
section of your text?
3. Where was realism before it became popular in the United States?
4. Realism was concerned with specific subjects, but it also explained why ordinary
people behaved the way they do. What did Realistic novelists often rely on?
5. Define regionalism –
6. Who is the best-known regional writer?
7. The writer Frank Norris is considered a naturalist. How did naturalists view
8. The psychological novel concentrates on _________ _____________________. In
psychological novels, people are driven by ____________________________
9. Stephen Crane is best known as an ironist. What is the example in the text that
shows his use of realism? (remember: blunt, to the point and sensible!)