Peer Evaluation – American Author Research
Name of Reader: _________________________________ Pd. ______
I am reading _________________________ ‘s paper. His/her American author is
1. Paper Format
Does the paper follow the proper multi-paragraph format?
- Introduction ______ yes ______ no
- Three Body Paragraphs _____ yes _____ no
- Conclusion ______ yes _____ no
- How many sentences does the introduction have? _______
- Does it fulfill the requirement of 5-7 sentences? ________
- How many sentences does body paragraph #1 have? _______
- How many sentences does body paragraph #2 have? _______
- How many sentences does body paragraph #3 have? _______
- Do the 3 body paragraphs fill the requirement of 5-7 sentences? ______
- Does the introduction provide background information about the author? ______
- Give at least two examples of background information that the writer has
- Can you give the writer any suggestions for their introduction?
4. Write the thesis statement of the writer:
- Is the thesis statement clear and specific? ___________
- Does the thesis statement contain the name of author and themes? __________
5. Write the topic sentence of each body paragraph.
- Body #1
- Body #2
- Body #3
- Are the three required quotes found in the paper? ________
7. Parenthetical Citations
- Has the writer used parenthetical citations throughout his/her paper?
- Does the conclusion reiterate or restate the thesis statement? ________
- Write the sentence that satisfies this requirement.
- Write one suggestion for the writer regarding their concluding paragraph.
- Does the writer use capitalization correctly? __________
- Write down any words that have been or may have been misspelled. Pay
particular attention to proper names.
- Are all sentences complete, or are there run-on sentences and sentence fragments?
Write any incomplete or awkward sentences that you find.
- Has the writer used commas and other punctuation correctly? Write any
punctuation errors that you find.
- Has the writer used first person in this paper? _________ If so, how can this be
- Is or does the paper: (yes or no)
_________ double spaced?
_________ use Times New Roman, 12 pt. font?
_________ use formal tone? (no first person)
_________ contain transitions between paragraphs?
_________ contain at least 3 quotes?
_________ contain 4 sources and use at least one primary source?
_________ maintain present verb tense?
_________ avoid using contractions?
_________ contain numerous spelling errors?
10. Works Cited
- Does the paper contain a Works Cited page? __________
- Are there at least 4 sources listed? __________
- Does the writer follow MLA format for their sources? _________ If not, please
discuss this with your partner! Where can they find the correct format?
- Are the sources alphabetized according to author, or if no author, according to
name of source? ________
Additional reader comments: