Writer: _________________ Reader: _________________
Remember, writers use five basic patterns to grab a reader's interest:
1. historical review
3. surprising statement
4. famous person
Introductory Paragraph – Peer Review
o 1. Does the writer begin with a pattern/technique to grab the
reader’s attention? _________
o 2. Which technique from above does the writer use? Is the
o 3. Write the thesis statement of the introductory paragraph.
o 4. Can you as a reader understand why the topic of the writing is
important to the writer? ________________
o 5. Does the order in the introduction make the reader want to move
forward, anticipating and answering questions as they arise?
6. Is the structure of the introduction logical? If not, how can the
writer correct this?
7. Does each statement in the introduction lead to the next in a
sensible sequence? If not, how can the writer correct this?
8. Is the introduction too long? _______ Too short? _________
9. Is the introduction effectively paced? Meaning, does it move fast
enough to keep the reader reading, yet slow enough to allow the
reader to absorb what is being read? _________
10. At the end of the introduction, do you genuinely want to read more of
the essay? ___________
11. If your answer to question #10 is no, what can you suggest to the
writer to add to his/her introduction?