Resources on Poverty
1. Corbett, S., &Fikkert, B. (2012). When helping hurts: How to alleviate poverty
without hurting the poor and yourself. (Expanded Edition). Chicago: Moody
2. Hazen, M. (2012). Addressing the needs of the poor: A church mobilization
3. Hilfiker, D. (1994). Not all of us are saints. New York: Ballantine Books.
4. Hilfiker, D. (2002). Urban injustice: How ghettos happen. New York: Seven
5. Holy Bible: New International Version. (2011). Grand Rapids, Mich.:
6. Lupton, R. (2011). Toxic charity: How churches and charities hurt those they
help (And how to reverse it). New York: Harper Collins Publishers.
7. Payne, R. (2005). A framework for understanding poverty. Highlands: aha!
8. Tirado, L. (2013). This Is Why Poor People's Bad Decisions Make Perfect
Sense. http://killermartinis.kinja.com/why-i-make-terrible-decisions-orpoverty-thoughts-1450123558. Accessed: November 23, 2013.
9. Evans, R. (2013). What Dave Ramsey gets wrong about
poverty.http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2013/11/30/what-dave-ramsey-getswrong-about-poverty/. Accessed: November 23, 2013.
10. Corley, T. 20 things the rich do every day.
http://www.daveramsey.com/blog/20-things-the-rich-do-everyday#commentsWrapper. Accessed: November 23, 2013.
11. Rovner, Julie. Medicaid Expansion Boosted Emergency Room Visits in
12. A. Mani, S. Mullainathan, E. Shafir, J. Zhao. Poverty Impedes Cognitive
Function. Science, 2013; 341 (6149): 976 DOI:
13. Mullainathan, S., Shafir, E. (2013). Scarcity: Why Having Too Little Means So
Much. New York: Times Books.
14. Gorski, P. (2008). The Myth of the Culture of Poverty. Poverty and Learning
(April 2008, Volume 65, Number 7).
15. Cohen, P. (2010). Culture of Poverty Makes a Comeback.
16. Reconsidering Culture & Poverty: A Congressional Briefing. (2010).
17. Marriage: America’s greatest weapon against childhood poverty.
Key Scriptures Regarding Poverty:
1. Serving the poor equates to serving the Lord
a. Matthew 25:31-46
2. Serving the poor shows our love
a. 1 John 3:17
3. Serving the poor is pure religion
a. James 1:27
4. Those who serve the poor will be rewarded
a. Isaiah 58:6-12
5. Preaching Good News to the poor was Jesus’ mission on earth
a. Isaiah 61:1-2
b. Matthew 11:4-6
c. Luke 4:17
d. Luke 7:21-23
6. Jesus served the poor
a. Luke 18:35-43
7. Serving the underserved was a commandment from God in the Old Law
a. Isaiah 1:17
b. Exodus 23:10-13
c. Deuteronomy 15:4-5
d. Deuteronomy 14:28-29
e. Leviticus 19:9-10
f. Leviticus 25:35-38