• Define the communication process
• Describe the functions of
• Assess the quality, or
communicative value, of
communication by examining its six
Chapter Outcomes (cont.)
• Define what communication
scholars consider to be competent
• Describe the various visual
representations, or models, of
• Describe why communication is vital
How we use communication in
– Expressing affiliation
– Achieving goals
– Influencing others
• Communication is symbolic.
– Both language and behavior are
• Communication requires a shared
– People construct messages (encode)
and interpret messages (decode).
• Communication is linked to
– Culture includes shared beliefs,
practices, values, and language.
• Communication need not be
– Spontaneous, unintentional
communication occurs through
emotions or body movements.
• Communication occurs through
– Channels include face-to-face, e-mail,
text messages, books, and so on.
• Communication is a
– It requires two or more people acting in
both sender and receiver roles.
– Optimizes outcomes for both
partners, with mutual satisfaction
– Values ethical standards of right
• Appropriate and Effective
– Adapts to the situation (behavioral
– Helps achieve goals based on the
• Tied to well-developed
– Requires understanding of social
norms and behaviors
• Related to using technology
– Requires using the right channel