1. Glog One!Glog All!Jan McGee, Technology Coordinator West Monroe High School Modified byKatherine Powell, Teacher Librarian Poway High School
2. A Glog is like a poster . . . only better • Glogs allow students to create an online poster using • photographs • images • graphics • video files • sound files • hyperlinks
3. 9 Reasons to Use a Glog1. It allows students to create an online poster2. It is free3. It is web-based4. It uses no ink5. It allows students to add images, video—such as YouTube--music, text, and hyperlinks (What cardboard poster does that?)
4. Reasons, continued6. It easily incorporates student research and educational content7. It addresses multiple learning styles8. It can be accessed from any location with an Internet connection9. Did I mention that it is economical because it uses NO ink?
5. Example: History/Biography Project Glog contains • Researched information • Images • Video from YouTube • Podcast of speech • Hyperlinks to JFK websites
6. Example: Book/Author Project•Text • Images•Hyperlinks • Video
7. Example: Teacher Glog for Website Links • Note to teachers and parents • Screen shots of websites • Hyperlinks to websites
8. Getting Started1. Go to: http://edu.glogster.com2. Click Register3. Fill out online registration form.4. Write down your Nickname and Password in a safe place. You will use them to login and edit your glog.
9. Profile Page Email Reminder Click “Create a New Glog”NOTE: A generic icon will appear beside yourname unless you import a photo or other image.
10. Create GlogA blank glog screen will appear.
11. To Remove Page ElementsRemove page elements by selecting it, then clicking the red trash can that appears.
12. Magnet Toolbar • Use the magnet toolbar to add page elements • Toolbar will slide up and down the page • Begin with the “Wall” tool to select a background • Once other page elements have been added, the wall cannot be changed
13. Naming Your Glog• At the top of the glog screen, there will be a rectangular box labeled “Glog name” next to it. When you first open your glog, it is only identified with a glog number. Click in the box and give your glog a unique name.
14. Save and Publish • Select a category. • Add some “tags” (keywords) to make it more searchable • Mark as “Public” or “Private.” • Click “Save & Publish” • Click “Save & Publish” often while editing to avoid loss of work.You will be taken back to your main blog screen withthe option to “View” or “Continue Editing.”
15. Glog Wall & Page Wall 1. Select “Wall” from toolbar 2. Backgrounds are arranged by themes 3. Select a “Glog Wall” 4. Click “Use it” 5. Select a “Page Wall”• The Glog wall is the background for the main part of the glog.• The page wall is like an outside border or frame.
16. Text• To add text, select “TEXT” from the toolbar• Choose a textbox (default), a title box, bubbles or stickers for your text• A wide variety of text box styles are available from each category• TIP: Text boxes are square. Titles are rectangular, as in a banner or heading
17. Add a Title• Select “Title”• View the sample styles by clicking the numbers at the bottom of the screen or by clicking the list of styles on the left-hand side of the screen.• Basic title creates a title without a frame.
18. Titles• Select the style you want and click “USE IT.”• The textbox will appear at the bottom of your glog screen.
19. Title Fonts • The title appears as “poster yourself” • Click the “EDIT” button to change/ add text • Click “Ab1” to change to font style, color, size or justification
20. Title Effects • Click the “fx” button to create special effects such as title shadows • Change the shadow, use a blur effect, adjust the distance, angle, etc. • Click “APPLY” • Click “OK”
21. Adding a Hyperlink to a Title • To hyperlink your title to a website, select the link button • An “Add URL” window will open • Paste the URL of the website into the “Link” box • Click “APPLY”
22. Creating Text Boxes • To create a regular (square) textbox, select “TEXT” on the toolbar • Choose “Sticker” from the text menu list.
23. Text Box Styles • “Basic Text” creates a box without a frame. The other styles appear as a “sticker” in which text may be typed. • Select a style • Click “USE IT”
24. Text Effects • Font styles, size, color and alignment are accessed from the same Menu icons used with Title effects. • Hyperlinks may also be added to text boxes and stickers.
25. Images• Locate images from the Internet, digital camera, or other sources and save to a folder on computer• Click “IMAGE” on menu• Select “UPLOAD” button
26. Uploading Images • Browse to folder • Select the image • Click “Open” • Image will upload to image collection.
27. Adding the Image • Select image • Image will appear on the right • Click “USE IT” to add it to glog OR • Add a frame by clicking “ADD A FRAME” button
28. Adding a Frame • Use menu on left to view and select a frame around image • Click “USE IT” to add image and frame to glog • Remove a frame before adding to glog by choosing “Basic” frame
29. Image Adjustment • Adjust size and placement of image using handles on side • Use menu bar above image to bring image forward, send to back for layering or duplicateBring to front image. • Choose trash can to delete image. Send to back Clone image
30. Hyperlink to Image • Select image • Click “EDIT” • Select link button on menu • Paste or type URL into link box • Click “APPLY”
31. Add Video File • Select “Video” from Magnet Toolbar • Click “UPLOAD” to navigate to a downloaded video on your computer (such as a video from UnitedStreaming) OR
32. Link to Web-based Video • Click “LINK” to add a web-based video from YouTube, TeacherTube or other online video resource • Paste or type the URL of the video • Click “ADD TO YOUR FILES”
33. Web-based Video • Video will be added to library • Select video • Choose a player or frame by selecting “Add a Player” button • Click “USE IT”
34. Add an Audio File • Audio files are added in the same manner as video files • Choose “SOUND” from the Magnet Toolbar • Select “UPLOAD” for downloaded sound file OR • Select “LINK” to an audio file on the web
35. Audio File and Frame • Choose a player frame from the themes menu OR • Use “as is” • Click “USE IT”
36. Add Graphics • Select “Graphics” from Magnet Tools • Choose a graphic from any of the themes on menu • Select “USE IT” • NOTE: Some graphics are animated
37. Save and Publish • Select “SAVE & PUBLISH” from top menu of glog • Edit name, category, or tags if needed • Optional: Change from “Private” to “Public” • Click “SAVE & PUBLISH”
38. Publishing and Sharing Glog • Use this screen to URL Link view glog, email glog, or post to web • Use URL link to postEmail a link on a website or wiki Copy • Click “Email” to HTML email link • Click “Copy” button to copy html code to embed
39. A Glog is like a poster. . . . . . . . . Only BETTER