2. The basic guidelinePunctuation is to make clear the thought being expressed.If punctuation does not help make clear what is being said, it should not be there.
3. If you’re not careful …Incorrect punctuation can: - change the meaning of your sentence - cause the reader to get confused
4. A want adWanted: Piano to replace daughters lost in fire.
5. A want adWanted: Piano to replace daughters lost in fire. Correct:Wanted: Piano to replace daughter’s lost in fire.
6. HeadlineFather to be stabbed to death in street
7. HeadlineFather to be stabbed to death in street Correct:Father-to-be stabbed to death in street
8. What does this mean? I saw a man eating lobster.
9. NOTI saw a man-eating lobster.
10. The butler stood in the door and called the guests’ names.
11. NOTThe butler stood in the door and called the guests names.
12. At summer camp, I missed the odor of my dad’s pipe, and my boyfriend.
13. NOTAt summer camp, I missed the odor of my dad’s pipe and my boyfriend.
14. Clarity and Accuracy• Even when there is no punctuation involved, make sure your sentences say what you intend them to say.
15. Real Newspaper Headlines• Prostitutes appeal to pope• Stolen painting found by tree• Miners refuse to work after death• Milk drinkers are turning to powder• Drunk gets nine months in violin case• Juvenile court to try shooting defendant• Complaints about NBA referees growing ugly• Panda mating fails; veterinarian takes over• Astronaut takes blame for gas in spacecraft• Hospitals are sued by 7 foot doctors• Iraqi head seeks arms
16. Punctuate this love letter from EducationWorld.commy dear pat, the dinner we shared the othernight – it was absolutely lovely not in my wildestdreams could I ever imagine anyone as perfect asyou are could you – if only for a moment – thinkof our being together forever what a cruel joke tohave you come into my life only to leave again itwould be heaven denied the possibility of seeingyou again makes me giddy with joy I face the timewe are apart with great sadness john p.s. I wouldlike to tell you that I love you I can’t stop thinkingthat you are one of the prettiest women on earth
17. My dear Pat, The dinner we shared the other night – it was absolutely lovely! Not in my wildest dreams could I ever imagine anyone as perfect as you are. Could you – if only for a moment – think of our being together forever? What a cruel joke to have you come into my life only to leave again; it would be heaven denied. The possibility of seeing you again makes me giddy with joy. I face the time we are apart with great sadness.Johnp.s. I would like to tell you that I love you. I can’t stop thinking that you are one of the prettiest women on Earth.
18. My Dear, Pat the dinner we shared the other night. It was absolutely lovely – not! In my wildest dreams, could I ever imagine anyone? As perfect as you are, could you – if only for a moment – think? Of our being together forever: what a cruel joke! To have you come into my life only to leave again: it would be heaven! Denied the possibility of seeing you again makes me giddy. With joy I face the time we are apart. With great “sadness,” John p.s. I would like to tell you that I love you. I can’t. Stop thinking that you are one of the prettiest women on Earth.This PowerPoint presentation can be reproduced as long as credit is given to Karen McIntyre.