2. Who were the Tuscarora? The Tuscarora were a Native American tribe that lived in North America in the 1600’s to the 1800’s. When European settlers arrived, the Tuscarora were split as a tribe. There was a Northern tribe and a Southern tribe. These tribes were led by Chief Hancock and Tom Blunt.
3. How the war started The Tuscarora war started when the Natives started fighting back against the European Settlers. This was odd because for many years the settlers had lived in peace and prosperity with the Natives At one point the tribe was split, instead of one Tuscarora there was now North Tuscarora and South Tuscarora.
4. Why did the war happen? The war happened because the Natives got sick of being treated the way they were by the Europeans. There land was simply taken from them and they had no choice. They’re family members were being kidnapped and forced into labour and some were even forced into sexual slavery.
5. Where did the war happen? The war mainly took place in North Carolina, where the Tuscarora had lived for many years. The war did not spread but stayed only within the confines of the state. Many wars like this happened between Natives and Europeans over land.
6. When did the war happen? The war lasted 4 years, between 1711- 1715. After 1715, a peace treaty was signed between the Natives and the Settlers. The peace treaty did not last long though. The same year another war began.
7. What were the after effects? The aftermath of this war lead to another war, the Yamasee War. This war again, was between Natives and European. The Yamasee War lasted from 1715 – 1717.