KMA and Microsoft give a whirlwind tour of the new enterprise search capabilities in SharePoint 2010 with FAST Search, and how it can help you search across your enterprise inside and outside
KMA and Microsoft give a whirlwind tour of the new enterprise search capabilities in SharePoint 2010 with FAST Search, and how it can help you search across your enterprise inside and outside firewalls.
About meRegional focusDistilled information worker platforms MSFT (SharePoint, BI, EPM)Collaboration – Portals, Insight Search BIProductivity forms, office custom, mekko
Scales – still testing but it is sig improvementDoesn’t matter where the info existsEasier to deploy
People search supports phonetic searchOrdered by relevanceFiltering navs on the left sideRich exp in results… rec content and org browser etc
Powered by FAST – high end capsPreviews of docs
Would be good to close with our willingness to delve deeper on BI for your specific needs… highlighting this is just touching on the new components of BI…… Help us understand your business problem and what you want to be looking at.
2. Housekeeping Items<br />Experiencing Issues? <br />Change color of your seat to RED<br />Questions for Speakers? <br />Submit questions during webinar<br />Twitter Discussion<br />#kmasp2010<br />Feedback<br /> Webinar Feedback<br /> Next Steps/Moving Forward<br />
3. About KMA<br /><ul><li>Full-service IT consulting firm established in 1995
5. Industry expertise and focus: Professional Services, Life Sciences & Financial Services
6. Microsoft technology focus:
7. Microsoft Certified Partner since 1995 / Microsoft Gold Certified Partner since 2004
8. Working with SharePoint technologies since 2001
9. Specialties in
10. Collaboration: Portals, Communities and Content Management
11. Insight: Enterprise Search and Business Intelligence
12. Productivity: Forms and Office Client Customization, Mekko Graphics (ISV)</li></li></ul><li>About Today’s Presenters<br />Mike Gilronan<br />20 years professional services and technology<br />Financial background (CPA)<br />Certified in project management (PMP)<br />Viewpoint = business decision-maker <br />
13. About Today’s Presenters<br />Casey Piket<br />Technical Specialist within FAST Group for 4+ years.<br />Now part of Digital Marketing Platform Group @ Microsoft.<br />10 Years experience in Enterprise Search.<br />
14. Agenda<br />Inside the Firewall: Enterprise Search for Portals <br />Outside the Firewall: Enterprise Search for Internet Sites <br />Enterprise Search Success Stories <br />5 ways to Take Advantage of Enterprise Search in your Organization <br />KMA & Microsoft - Q&A Session<br />
15. Enterprise Search and KM<br />“Search is being implemented in enterprises as the new knowledge management and what's coming down the line is the ability to mine the huge amount of untapped structured and unstructured data in the organisation. “<br />-- Mike Altendorf, CIO Magazine, 10/31/2008Read more: http://gilbane.com/search_blog/2008/11/apples_and_orangutans_enterpri.html#ixzz0wv2rvbDF<br />
16. Enterprise Search: Microsoft Spectrum of Products<br />Quick, easy, powerful, free<br />Complete intranet search<br />High-end search delivered through SharePoint <br />Visual experiences, extreme adaptability and advanced content processing<br />Basic search<br />Intranet-wide search<br />People and expertise search<br />
17. Enterprise Search<br />Better Answers, Faster<br />Improved relevance based on usage and history<br />Rich results-navigators for shorter search time<br />Support for 400+ content types and 85 languages<br />Phonetic and multi-lingual for global relevance<br />Social connections driven by interests and expertise <br />Secure access to content, whether internal or external<br />Knowledge Amplification<br />Enterprise Deployment<br />Improved scale to meet any demand volume<br />Deployment-specific tuning for best results<br />Search-driven applications to enrich platform<br />
18. Enterprise Search: Designed for a collaboration platform<br />Supports phonetic name lookup and Wildcards<br />Organization browsing<br />Filter by focus, expertise, etc<br />Recentcontent<br />
19. Enterprise Search: Conversational search that understands your information<br />Featured content<br />Related searches<br />Navigators with exact counts<br />Document previews<br />Document thumbnails<br />Relevance enhanced by user tagging and rating<br />Pre-Beta screenshots, subject to change<br />
20. Internal vs External-Facing Search<br />
22. Why Advanced Search?<br />Deep Refinement<br />Thumbnails<br />Sort on any field<br />Similar Results<br />Previews<br />
23. Advanced Search Summary<br />Deep Refiners<br />Visual Refiners<br />Visual Best Bets<br />Meta Data Extraction<br />Unlimited Scale<br />Visual enhancements to result list:<br />Thumbnails<br />Scrolling Preview<br />Similarity Search<br />User Context<br />Editorial Control<br />
24. “By using FAST Search Server 2010 for SharePoint, our researchers can refine their searches and find exactly what they are looking for. They spend more time innovating than looking for information.”<br />Michelle Check, Research and Development Systems Leader, <br />Global Knowledge Services Group, General Mills<br />General Mills frees more time for innovation with research-focused search application<br /><ul><li>More time for innovation
25. Greater opportunity to expand on existing research
26. Easy to customize, low costs
27. Deploy Microsoft® SharePoint® Server 2010 and Microsoft FAST™ Search Server 2010 for SharePoint to create tunable search-driven application focused on needs of researchers
28. Flexible, easy to use
29. Give company researchers a faster, more accurate way to search existing research and locate internal experts
30. Free up time for more innovation</li></li></ul><li>Kraft creates a compelling search experience on www.kraftrecipes.com with SharePoint + FAST.<br /><ul><li>Increase traffic to kraftrecipes.com
31. Increase loyalty to kraftrecipes.com as an authoritative recipe database.
32. Ultimately, increase sales of Kraft products due to increased use of recipe database.
33. Deploy Microsoft® SharePoint® Server and Microsoft FAST™ to create a compelling search driven experience to find recipes.
34. Result refinement based on recipe specific attributes.
35. Provide a compelling end user experience so that customers can find recipes that include Kraft food products.</li></li></ul><li>Demo: Kraft Recipes<br />
36. 5 Ways to Take Advantage of Enterprise Search<br />Monetize Destination Portal.<br />Collaboration via Partner / Customer Extranet.<br />Educate Customers and prospects via Product / Service Information Portal.<br />Customer Support Portal.<br />eCommerce.<br />
37. Questions and Answers<br />Thank you to our speakers<br />
38. Resources: How KMA Can Help<br />Content:<br /><ul><li>Online content, blogs, articles available through www.kma-llc.net
39. Monthly live seminars/webinars, recent topics at http://www.slideshare.net/kmallc
40. One-to-one discussions with you about your unique business problem</li></ul>Events:<br /><ul><li>SharePoint Saturday Boston -- September 25, 2010
41. SPTechCon Boston – October 20-22, 2010</li></ul>Offerings<br /><ul><li>SharePoint Health Check - fixed price engagement
44. [Microsoft Office] Business Value Planning Services (BVPS)</li></li></ul><li>Resources: To Learn More<br /><ul><li>From Microsoft:</li></ul>Terrific blog article from Enterprise Search team: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/enterprisesearch/archive/2009/10/28/fast-meets-sharepoint-what-s-coming-in-search-for-sharepoint-2010.aspx<br />Summary of SharePoint 2010 Search comparison with Fast Search Server 2010 for SharePoint: http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9690848<br />From Others:<br />Blog article on SharePoint 2010 and findability: http://www.sharepointconfig.com/2010/04/10-ways-sharepoint-2010-improves-findability/<br /><ul><li>From KMA:
45. Monthly webinars on SharePoint 2010
46. Web: www.kma-llc.net (now powered by SharePoint!) with white papers, blogs, archived presentations, news, and events
47. SharePoint Deployment Planning Services (SDPS), now available for 2010 planning</li></li></ul><li>In Closing…<br />How to get (and share) a copy of today’s slides<br />Continue the SharePoint conversation with KMA <br />Next KMA Insights Webinar – watch for invitation<br />Feedback/survey<br />Thank you!!! http://www.kma-llc.net<br />