1. PLA’s vision on‘Career development of LISprofessionals and overallimprovement of libraries inPakistan’Prof. Dr. Khalid MahmoodPresidentPakistan Library Association (Headquarters)
2. Library legislation and policyprovisions Standards for libraries Legislation for public libraries Library foundations Service structure for librarians of public sector Recommendations for librarians of private sector Policies on weeding, write off and book losses, etc.
3. Job market for librarians Survey of vacant positions in federal, provincial and local public and private organizations Advertisement of vacant positions Quality and usability of pre-service education Balance between demand and supply of librarians Separate positions for LIS teaching in colleges Encourage colleges to teach LIS to create
4. Career development oflibrarians Need based in-service training programs Scholarships and travel grants for MPhil and PhD studies Seminars and conferences for information and experience sharing Mentoring programs Professional attachment programs Identification and documentation of good practice models in libraries
5. Uplifting social image Respond positively to changes in reading and information seeking of the society Publicity of library services and librarians’ activities (Print and electronic media) Improve communication within library community and with the society (email discussion groups, chatting, social media)
6. Action plan Enhanced focus on PLA membership Committees within PLA headquarters and branch councils Involvement of PLA members inside and outside Pakistan especially senior members Help from HEC, Department of Libraries, PASTIC, Punjab Library Foundation, Directorate of Libraries, other federal and provincial departments Help from LIS schools and eminent libraries Help from sister organizations within and outside LIS