On October 23rd, 2014, we updated our
By continuing to use LinkedIn’s SlideShare service, you agree to the revised terms, so please take a few minutes to review them.
...the product of decoding (the ability to read words on a
page) and comprehending language (understanding those
Good Vocabulary Instruction
“Good vocabulary instruction helps children gain ownership
of words, instead of just learning words well enough to pass
a test. Good vocabulary instruction provides multiple
exposures through rich and varied activities to
meaningful information about the word.”
(Stahl & Kapinus, 2001, p. 14)
Steps for Explicit
1. Have students say the word.
2. Provide a definition of the word, using student-friendly explanations
3. Have students discuss what is known about the word.
4. Provide examples and non-examples of the word.
5. Engage in deep-processing activities by asking questions, using
graphic organizers, or having students act out the word.
6. Provide scaffolds so that students can create powerful sentences
with the new word.
(August et al., 2005; Vaughn & Linan-Thompson, 2004)
(Vocabulary Word: CIRCLE)
(Vocabulary Word: SQUARE)
What are some other ways you can use
Educreations to provide varied
(Bring Your Ideas to Life!)
Additional Creation Apps
iPad Camera (Video)
EPISD TV Studio on YouTube- What’s Appening
Connect With Us!
How did we do?