Want to Do What I Do?
A Career in Student Affairs
What is Student Affairs?
Definition of Student Affairs
◦ Student affairs staff provide services and support for
students at institutions of higher education to enhance
student growth and development in the United States
◦ Student affairs professionals are charged with the tasks
of developing programming, advising student
organizations and student leaders and conducting
research to meet the needs of the whole student –
physical, emotional and mental.
◦ Also referred to as College Student Personnel and Higher
Areas of Student Affairs
Admissions and Registrar
Counseling and Testing
Judicial/Community Rights &
Disabled Student Services
Orientation (Preview &
Leadership & Service
GLBT Student Services
Spirituality, Faith or Religious
Benefits of Working in Student Affairs
The Ability to Make a Difference
◦ You can change the lives of students!!
A Wide Range of Choices
◦ You can consider a career in student affairs no matter what
your undergraduate major is or was.
An Exciting Work Environment
◦ There is never a boring day in a student affairs office.
Access to the Profession
◦ There are several entry-level positions and they are always
in demand on campuses.
Potential for Advancement
◦ Once you enter the profession, the possibilities of career
growth are limitless.
◦ Colleges and universities offer an attractive benefits
package which can include tuition remission, medical
benefits, vacation time, and all the cultural, social, and
recreational opportunities that a college campus has to
Education and Salaries
◦ Lower- Bachelors-Masters, Most of the time Masters
◦ Middle: Masters- Doctorate
◦ Higher: Doctorate + experience
Starting salary $33,500 ($16/hr)
Mid-level/Median salary $60,500-$62,500 ($29/hr)
Senior Level salary $90,000 ($43/hour)
Senior Administration $100,000-$500,000
Benefits are usually very good for college student personnel workers.
They may get 4 to 5 weeks vacation a year and have very generous
health and pension packages. Many colleges and universities offer free
tuition to employees and their families.
If you are interested in discussing student affairs opportunities
in these particular areas, their emails are listed below their
Kera Tackett- Academic Advisor
Emily Vigneri- Assistant Coordinator of Orientation and
Steve Klay- Coordinator of Student Involvement Center
Erin Thomas- Coordinator of Leadership and Service
Ashley Taylor- Specialist in Diversity Advocacy
For links to specific career areas, feel free
to email any member of the Career in
Student Affairs Committee (see next
Career in Student Affairs Committee
Erin Thomas, email@example.com
◦ Leadership and Service Coordinator
Ashley Taylor, firstname.lastname@example.org
◦ Diversity Advocacy Specialist
Bryan Bristol, email@example.com
◦ Programming Graduate Assistant, 1st year grad
student in the College Student Personnel
Katie Pratt, firstname.lastname@example.org
◦ Leadership and Service Intern, Senior
For More Information about a Career in
Student Affairs, please contact:
Students: please fill out this interest form
Student Affairs Interest Form
Staff who want to get involved with the
Career in Student Affairs committee
should contact Erin Thomas via email