On October 23rd, 2014, we updated our
By continuing to use LinkedIn’s SlideShare service, you agree to the revised terms, so please take a few minutes to review them.
small things that fill little voids
March 26, 2009
An effective customization tool must empower
the user to make something they personally
Customization that incorporates some element
of the user’s feelings or persona fosters a
sense of ownership.
A web-based customization tool that allows
users to design plush creatures or soft
– A selection of base body shapes
– Facial features like eyes, mouths
– Appendages like legs, arms, tails, etc.
– Skins from existing color/print
selection & from custom uploads (custom
Why I Am Doing This
• There is currently nothing like this
– Closest things = Build-a-Bear Workshop
(shudder) and super-expensive monster
• People feel an affinity for soft, plush
– they’re comforting and can assume many
– they can have a personal value separate
from your public persona
• Why do people customize things?
• Who customizes things?
• What kinds of things do people customize?
• What makes a customization tool fulfilling
or satisfying to use?
• What makes people like what they’ve made?
• What gives people a sense of ownership
over something they’ve customized?
Make My Own Monster
Dunkin Donuts Make Your Own Donut
Marvel Create Your Own Super Hero
Spore Creature Creator
Why People Customize Stuff
• to make things they care about or are
• to make something that reflects something
• to feel rich
• to have something unique
• because it’s fun
Goal: to design a joyful interactive
experience in which everything the
user chooses to do feels like the
right thing to do
• Designer toy
• People who give
• Make it easy to “try things on”
• Making the creation process less
• More options for everything to enable more
– More flair
– Ears and noses
• Demo of customization tool
• 5 examples of objects created with tool
• Project vision
March 21 – create forms and MCs for
all forms in Flash
March 28 – make more forms, concept
testing + program selection tool
April 4 – program selection tool,
April 11 – scale/rotation + QA testing
April 18 – QA testing, fine-tune site,
make more demo products
April 26 – QA for site + Symposium
Life After Symposium
• Online customization tool
• Ability to order your creation
and have it made and sent to
• Interactive environment for the
community of user creations
• Crowdsource to make the most
popular creations available