1. The first settlers are thought to have arrivedaround 50,000 years ago. The population grewproportionately quicker around 10,000 years ago asthe climate improved.
2. Fighting wiped out the Aboriginal population inTasmania and greatly reduced the numbers in the restof Australia.
3. 17th CENTURY 1606.The first European sightings of Australia were made by a Dutchman called Willem Janszoon on the Duyfken (Little Dove). Later that year Louis Vaez de Torres sailed through the Torres Strait, named after himself. Both Captains have been recorded as having sighted the Cape York Peninsula.
4. 1642. Dutch explorer, Abel Tasmans, first journey toAustralia. It was in 1644 that Abel Tasman establishedthat Australia was made up of four coastsNorth, West, East and South. The Australian state ofTasmania was named after this famous explorer.
5. 18th CENTURY The great age of exploration Captain Cook lands in Botany Bay on the Eastern side of Australia in the ship named HM Bark Endeavour. and claims New South Wales for Britain.
6. 1788 The First Fleet arrives at Sydney Cove under Captain Arthur Phillip to establish the first settlement in Australia. This was to be a penal colony - Sydney was founded. The date of his arrival, 26 January, went on to mark Australia Day.
7. 19th CENTURY1803 Mathew Flinders completes the first voyage around Australia in the Investigator.1804 Castle Hill Rising by Irish convicts in New South Wales.1825 Tasmania seceded from New South Wales.1829 Western Australia formed.1836 South Australia formed.1851 – 1961 Gold rushes (Ballarat, Bendigo).
8. 1855 Victoria achieved government.1856 New South Wales, South Australia, Tasmania achieved government.1859 Queensland formed from New South Wales and achieved government.1890 Western Australia achieved government.1891 Depression gave rise to the Australian Labor Party.1899 – 1900 South African War - forces offered by the individual colonies.
9. 20th CENTURY During the early part of the 20th century legislations were passed to segregate and protect Aboriginals. This involved restrictions on where they could live and work and families being broken up.
10. 1901 Creation of the Commonwealth of Australia. This was a federation of the States of New South Wales, Victoria, Tasmania, Queensland, Western Australia and South Australia. 1911 Site for capital at Canberra acquired. 1914 - 1918 World War I - Anzac troops in Europe including Gallipoli. Australia experiences her first major losses in a war during in 1915 on the Gallipoli peninsula in Turkey.
11. 1939 - 1945 World War II - Anzac troops in Greece, Crete, and N Africa (El Alamein) and the Pacific. The Japanese bomb Darwin in 1942. 1941 Curtins appeal to USA for help in the World War marked the end of the special relationship with Britain. 1944 Liberal party founded by Menzies. 1948 - 1975 Two million new immigrants, the majority from continental Europe
12. 1978 Northern Territory achieved self-government. 1979 Opening of uranium mines in Northern Territory. 1983 Hawke convened first national economic summit - The Fraser Government is defeated in the election and the Australian Labour Party under Bob Hawke forms a government. 1988 Australia celebrates its Bicentennial - 200 years since the first European settlement.
13. 1991 Paul Keating replaced Hawke as Labour Party leader and Prime Minister. 1994 The ASEAN Regional Forum (ARF) was established 1996 Labour Party ousted in general election by Liberal-National coalition. 1901 - 1999 Australian Prime Ministers of the 20th Century
14. 21st CENTURY 2000 Australia hosts the 2000 Olympic Games. 2001 Australia celebrates the Centenary of the Federation of Australia. 2007Liberal-National Coalition lost in the general election to the Australian Labor Party (ALP). 2007Kevin Rudd replaced John Howard as Prime Minister.
15. 1901 Creation of the Commonwealth of Australia. This was a federation of the States of New South Wales, Victoria, Tasmania, Queensland, Western Australia and South Australia. Northern Territory Queensland Western Australia South Australia New South Wales Victoria Tasmania
16. The Labor government that came into power in 1910was already beginning to chafe under the limitsimposed by the constitution when the outbreak ofWorld War I overshadowed domestic affairs.1914 – 1918 World War I - Anzac troops in Europeincluding Gallipoli. Australia experiences her firstmajor losses in a war during in 1915 on the Gallipolipeninsula in Turkey.