1. ApacheCloudStack (incubating) Prasanna Santhanam email@example.com Prasanna.Santhanam@citrix.comHow the Apache community works
2. The Apache Foundation• Open collaborative projects developed under the umbrella of the ASF• Provide legal guidance, advice to the foundations projects• Promote Meritocracy
3. Projects• Top Level Projects o Apache HTTP Webserver o Apache Tomcat o Apache Cassandra o Apache Hadoop• Incubator o Apache CloudStack• Labs• Attic
4. Roles• User• Developer• Committer• PPMC - Member and Chair• ASF Members• Project Management Committee (PMC) Many Hats!
5. Yes! the ASF is great!
6. Apache CloudStack status• In incubation for around 6 months now• Apache CloudStack 4.0 is released!• Bugtrackers and Wiki moving to ASF Infra• Code repos moved to Apache GIT• Many non-Citrix contributors, committers, and PPMC members
7. Whos participating• Caringo contributes object store plugin• Nicira controller by Hugo• Ceph/RBD support by Wido• CLVM for KVM by MarcusMore ...• CloudEra (Hadoop backed Object Store)• Midokura (SDN Controller)• Basho - Object store• Interests from CloudByte
8. Working towards 4.1• Improved package management• DevCloud improvements• Re-arch, Event handling,• Storage Re-arch work• Auto Provisioning via Kickstarts• Expanding test coverage• Documentation for all this and more!
9. How to contribute?• Its not just about code! o Discussions - Design, Use Cases, Deployments o Documentation o Bug Reports and Feature Requests o Code Review o Feedback o Wiki and Website management o Build, Tools and Infrastructure o Helping out on the IRC o Spreading the word• Its your voice!
10. The future needs you!• Project website: o http://incubator.apache.org/projects/cloudstack.html o www.cloudstack.org• Mailings Lists (firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com) o All decision making, consensus - [DISCUSS | RFC] o Democratic / Voting - [VOTE]• IRC o irc.freenode.net : (#cloudstack, #cloudstack-dev, #cloudstack- meeting) o Wednesday - 10:30 PM IST, 5:00 UTC
11. Filing Bugs• Sign up at o https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLOUDSTACK• Send an email to the dev list to have yourself registered as a contributor• Search to make sure the bug has not already been filed.• If you need to, then file a new bug o Make sure you check the release it was found in. o Describe how to reproduce the bug in detail. o Add relevant logs to the bug• If the bug has been filed, but it is not targeted to be fixed in the release you want. o Create a subtask for that bug o Make sure the fix version is set to your version
12. Fixing bugs• Sign up on the review board o https://reviews.apache.org/groups/cloudstack/• Follow the process on o http://incubator.apache.org/cloudstack/develop/non-contributors.html• Every patch must have a bug id in Jira• Every patch must provide unit tests• Be sure to mark off the status of the bug according to the workflow
13. Jira Workflow
14. Feature Proposal• Send email tagged with [PROPOSAL] to cloudstack- firstname.lastname@example.org o Summary of the problem o Summary of the solution• Give others time to read the proposal and comment. One week should be good.• Respond to comments.• Conclude with whether the proposal will continue and what branch it will be in.• Start a bug on Jira and indicate the release it is intended to be in.• When the feature is complete then close the bug.
15. Localization• Support for Japanese and Simplified Chinese• Takes advantage of the Java ResourceBundle to do localization• Simply create a /WEB- INF/classes/resources/messages_<language code>.properties• Server side vs Client side processing
16. Documentation• Effort to break documentation into small sections• Send email on the mailing list if you’re interested in this area.