SFSU ISYS 363
Fall 2013 Section #1
Group - Athletics
This is a group project in which we will expound our
research of five separate collaborative tools available for
use. Each tool has it’s own purpose, and for that reason
each will be evaluated on a selection of criteria: Security
and Privacy, File Sharing and Storage Capabilities,
Pricing and Availability, and availability of A/V
conferencing. At the end of the presentation, our group
will express which collaborative tool we find most
beneficial and useful.
Description of Selected
● Trello is an application designed to enhance and assist organizational efficiency. With the use of
boards (very similar to a Facebook wall), both the host and guests can post cards. Cards can contain
text, pictures, and videos. This extremely versatile application can be used in any situation and on any
● Yammer is a social network that creates a platform for businesses to communicate ideas through out
the whole business. Allowing members to post on a common wall as well as have their own walls to
further express their ideas and make decisions from anywhere at anytime.
● Basecamp ties together group members on a web-based platform with easy to use to-do lists and real
time editing updates. Although the free trial version is only available for one project, the cheapest
membership fee ($24) offers users premium quality project management tools for an affordable price.
While the site offers a simple layout and easy to use interface it does lack certain tools one may deem
● Google drive is a file storage service. Google allows people to share files, use cloud storage and edit
files between multiple users. It is a free service to anyone who has a Google email account and can be
very good resource for users working in a collaborative setting but may not be able to physically meet
with each other in person.
● Wunderlist is one of the simplest ways to manage and share your daily to-do lists. Whether you’re
running your own business, collaborating on a group project or sharing a shopping list with a friend,
Wunderlist can help you get things done. Although the free version is more than sufficient for most
• Cards/tasks are limited to only one
• Limited email integration and label
• Difficult to work with multiple cards or
tasks in the UI, like for moving, copy/paste
● Easy to follow UI
● It’s FREE!
● Saves information
● Boards/cards can be shared
with the public or kept private
+ Connects people in the workplace, keeps
everyone’s ideas connected and easy to be
+Breaks down barriers in the workplace.
Allowing new employees the ability to share
ideas that can be seen by positions higher
+Easy to use and has the ability to share and
upload files and images.
+ Free and is easy to get started with.
+ Functional on smartphones and tablets.
- Relies on the constant use of the business to
keep the interaction going.
- Not effective unless everyone agrees to joining
and constantly being active on the Yammer
YammerThe Enterprise Social
1.) Google has a close relationship with US intelligence
agencies to try and prevent hackers from stealing
2.) Google drive has a cloud storage unit you can save a
massive amount of internet onto your google drive.
You can also share information easily between
3.) Google drive is free and accessible to any user with
a gmail account
4.) Has apps in which you can download Google play
which allows you to view, edit and store visual
1.) Because google drive uses cloud storage and it is
accessible by the public it would not be good to
store highly sensitive data onto google drive.
2.) Although you might have a lot of storage space using
google drive the negative aspect to this would be if
you have too much data stored it may be hard for
you to find specific data that you need.
3.) There are so many users on Google drive this makes
it a target for spammers and hackers looking to
obtain information from innocent clients.
4.) the video presentation app is only available for
iphone and android users.
● Basecamp offers a free two month trial to
new members and membership as low as
● Shared files can be searched by not only
in certain projects but also by specific
● Basecamp texts docs allow users to write
and edit together in real time. They also
offer to-do lists and daily progress
timelines that update in real time.
● Basecamp is available on the go with apps
for the iPhone, Droid, and Windows Phone
7 with added security to ensure your data
is kept safe and secure.
● No audio or video chat compatibility.
● With the system’s newest update time
management is only available with
additional application add-ons.
● Despite organization, searching for works
is not always useful.
● Limited storage for each membership leve
ranging from 10 MB to 75 GB.
• Wunderlist syncs across all your devices to
keep you on top of all the things you want
to do, from anywhere.
• You can easily share lists with your
colleagues, friends and family to
collaborate on anything from team projects
to group dinners.
• It has an intuitive design and friendly
reminders ensure you never forget
important deadlines (or birthday gifts) ever
· It does not have recurring reminders with the
ability to snooze.
· They do not have a password option when
opening the app.
· It doesn't sync with Google apps. It would be
more convenient if it was able to sync with