View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!Introducing SlideShare for AndroidExplore all your favorite topics in the SlideShare appGet the SlideShare app to Save for Later — even offline
View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new Android app!View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!
• Arthrodesis is an surgical procedure to eliminate
motion in a joint by providing a bony fusion.
• Aim- to attain stability at the joint
• Sacrificing mobility for stability
1. Gross destruction of a joint- dec pain and halt the
• Rheumatoid arthritis
• Charcoat arthropathy
2. Tubercular arthritis- quiescent stage
3. Neuromuscular conditions- polio ( deformity or gross
4. Deformity correction-
1. Fixed in optimal functional position.
2. All articular cartilage must be removed till the level of
bleeding cancellous bone.
3. Flat surfaces should be cut on opposing joint ends to
ensure optimal bony contact
4. Fixation should be stable
5. Cancellous bone graft
6. Soft tissues should be taken care
7. Joints above & below should be mobilised
1. Plates and screws
2. Intra medullary implants
3. Single or multiple screws
4. External fixation-
• tubular exfix
• Charnley apparatus
• DEFINITION- A surgical procedure were the
joint is replaced or reconstructed.
• A new joint is created.
• Done for hip, knee, ankle, shoulder, elbow, wrist
• Joint destruction-
1. Rheumatoid arthritis
• Quiescent tubercular arthritis
• Correction of deformities
• Fracture neck of femur > 60 years
Either of the articular surface of the joint is
removed and replaced by a prosthesis
2. Total replacement arthroplasty-
Both articular surfaces of the joint are excised
and replaced by prosthesis
3. Excision arthroplasty-
One or both articular surfaces are excised but
the gap is left to fill by fibrous tissue.
• Joint is fused
• No movements in joint
• Fused in functional
• Less ideal for
• Can be done in almost all
• Life long
• Joint is reconstructed
• Joint is mobile
• Full range of motion
• Good candidate for
• Can be done in limited
• Needs revision every 10-