Aneurysmal bone cyst
Unicameral bone cyst
Giant cell tumour
Biopsy proven aneurysmal bone cyst
Presently 3 months post biopsy
1. Currettage and allow spontaneous healing
2. Currettage and bone grafting
3. Currettage and cryotherapy
5. Intralesional injection steroid, calcitonin
6. Embolisation of feeding vessel
J Bone Joint Surg [Br]
Percutaneous sclerotherapy has emerged as
an excellent method of treatment.
Hydroxypolyaethoxydodecan is a sclerosing
It has been sucessfully used in the treatment
of AV malformations of
1. GI tract
2. varicose veins
3. Telengiectases, varicose veins
All pts underwent biopsy confirmation
Treatment 3 months after biopsy ( giving
time for spontaneous healing)
Preop volume of the lesion was calculated
< 15 yrs GA, > 15 yrs local
16 gu needle or bone marrow needle used.
Under C arm guidance
1 ml for 1cm3
Lock the needle for 1 min so that no back flow
No more than 10 ml was given
• Follow up
1. 6 weeks
2. 12 weeks
3. 6 months there after
1. Time at which the pain had resolved.
2. The cortical thickness of the wall of the cyst
had started reforming.
3. Lesion had stopped growing in size.
injection was given if any of the above
criteria were not met.
grade I (< 25% of the initial lesion) 66%
grade II (25% to 49%) 30.5%
grade III (50% to 74%) 2.8%
grade IV (75% or more).
97% success at the end of final follow up
Recurrence 2 cases
Induration at the site of injection 18 cases,
hypopigmentation 3 cases,
local inflammatory reaction,
episode of dizziness
necrosis at the site of the injection in the case
This series had only hypopigmentation
skin conditions at the site of injection,