Hacking & Cracking
Understand The difference
- A person who enjoys exploring the details of programmable systems and how to stretch their capabilities, as opposed to most users, who prefer to learn only the minimum necessary.
- One who programs enthusiastically (even obsessively) or who enjoys programming rather than simply theorizing about programming.
- A Hacker who use his skill for illegal purpose.
- gaining access to your system resources.
- checking out the mechanism of attacks against other systems.
- Want to be Hero of Wild Internet
Types of hacker’s
- White Hats – Professional Security Experts
- Gray Hats – Unsuspecting Users
- Mostly kids/students- User tools created by black hats
- Underemployed Adult Hackers
- Can’t get employment in the field
- Want recognition in hacker community
Types Of Cracker’s
- Black Hats – the Bad Guys
- Real criminals, are in it for whatever they can get no matter who it hurts
- Most dangerous to an enterprise as they are “insiders”
- Programming languages such as C and C++ would not exist
- Operating Systems such as Unix and Linux would not exist
- Microsoft might not been developed
- Basically, no one would be designing new types of software
- Antivirus Companies would not have became billionaire
- Security is thought of and efforts are put forward to making information more private
- Free software is made available because of these people
- These crackers create jobs for others to stop them
- Since home users are more vulnerable with less security they are an easy target for people to hack into for fun
- Software developers improve their software
- The Beginning – Goal : Decide why this system should be attacked.
- Gather the Information about the victim hosts
- Locate the victim hosts by some scanning program
- Identify the victim host vulnerability
- Attack the victim host via this vulnerability
- Establish backdoors for later access
Some Common Attacks
Once inside, the hacker can...
- Sometimes destroy after stealing
- A pro would steal and cover their tracks so to be undetected
- To let you know they were there
Question Is Hacking healthy to the computer industry?