1. LESSONS LEARNED IN TESTAUTOMATION OF ERP APPLICATIONKishore ChavaliPresented at QAI Conference Bangalore (1999)
2. INITIAL PROJECT Automation project completed with extensive use of record and playback Heavy initial investment to develop lot of scripts
3. LESSONS LEARNED Record and Playback approach is not effective when application is data dependent Test Automation is development It is not possible to achieve automated testing in all types of testing Error Recovery routine is very important for automated test suite to be successful. Test Automation will have bugs.
4. REVISED PROJECT Recruited test developers Developed Test Scripting Standards Reuse of Test Scripts designed and developed Developed an efficient Error Recovery routine. Trained test developers Developed more data driven tests Invested automation efforts in areas that are most critical
5. PAY ATTENTION Immature testing Processes and methods Technical Limitations of tools Return on Investment of Test Automation
6. REFERENCES Test Automation Snake Oil by James Bach. www.satisfice.com/articles/test_automation_snake_oil. pdf Automated Software Testing – A Perspective by Kerry http://www.methodsandtools.com/archive/archive.php?id =33 Success with Test Automation by Bret Pettichord http://www.prismnet.com/~wazmo/succpap.htm Howard Fear on Test Automation by Howard Fear Lessons from Automation by Elfriede Dustin (Featured Article in STQE Magazine): http://www.stickyminds.com/sitewide.asp?ObjectId=180 2&Function=edetail&ObjectType=ART