0
Temperate Deciduous Forest
By Kira Nishi-Beckingham
World Distribution
Temperate Deciduous Forests can be found in the eastern half of the
United States, the middle of Europe...
Abiotic Characteristics
Latitude  23.5 to 60 degrees in both the Northern and
Sothern Hemispheres
Precipitation  750 to ...
Plants
In a Temperate Deciduous
Forest, there can be up to 5 zones.
The first zone is the Tree Stratum
Zone. This zone con...
Plants Cont.
The second zone is called the small tree
and sapling zone. This zone contains
shorter and younger trees.

The...
Plants Cont.
The fourth zone is called the herb
zone, which contains short plants such
as herbal plants, wildflowers, and
...
Animals

Temperate Deciduous
Forests, like every other
biome, have certain animals
that make it what it is. Some
of these ...
Climate
Precipitation  750 to 1,500 mm of rain per year
Temperature  -30 to 30 degrees Celsius (cold winters
and hot sum...
Bioaccumulation
Things like pollution cause extreme
damage to biomes such as Temperate
Deciduous Forests. It causes acid r...
Bioaccumulation
Humans are extremely
detrimental to the forests
as we strip the trees away
for our benefit. We clear
huge ...
Intrusive Species
An intrusive species is a plant or animal that is non-native to the
biome and has a negative affect.
Som...
Energy
Flows
Second Trophic
Level: The Primary
Consumers use
about 6,000
Kilocalories per
square meter per
year, however o...
Energy
Flows
Third Trophic Level:
The Secondary
Consumers are able
to utilize 600
Kilocalories per
square meter per
year, ...
Energy
Flows
Fourth Trophic
Level: The Tertiary
Consumers are only
able to get 60
Kilocalories per
square meter per
year s...
Biotic Relationships
Mutualism: An example of mutualism
is the relationship between a deer and a
bird. The bird gets food ...
Biotic Relationships
Commensalism: An
example of
commensalism is the
relationship between a
squirrel and a tree. The
squir...
Succession
Succession is the order
of plant growth. This is
the succession of plant
growth in a Temperate
Deciduous Forest...
Predator-Prey Interactions

An example of a predator-prey interaction is the
relationship between a spider and insects. In...
Bibliography
"Beech Tree Pictures." Beech Tree:
Pictures, Photos, Images, Facts on Beech Trees. N.p., n.d.
Web. 15 Feb. 20...
Bibliography
"Statue Tree Information from Statues to Trees. Then
Plant, Relax and Enjoy!" Statue Tree. N.p., n.d. Web. 15...
Bibliography
"Habitat Awareness Temperate Deciduous Forest." Habitat
Awareness Temperate Deciduous Forest. N.p., n.d. Web....
THE END
Upcoming SlideShare
Loading in...5
×

Temperate Deciduous Forest

2,564

Published on

Published in: Art & Photos
0 Comments
0 Likes
Statistics
Notes
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

No Downloads
Views
Total Views
2,564
On Slideshare
0
From Embeds
0
Number of Embeds
1
Actions
Shares
0
Downloads
11
Comments
0
Likes
0
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide

Transcript of "Temperate Deciduous Forest"

  1. 1. Temperate Deciduous Forest By Kira Nishi-Beckingham
  2. 2. World Distribution Temperate Deciduous Forests can be found in the eastern half of the United States, the middle of Europe, as well as parts of Asia and New Zeeland
  3. 3. Abiotic Characteristics Latitude  23.5 to 60 degrees in both the Northern and Sothern Hemispheres Precipitation  750 to 1,500 mm of rain per year Temperature  -30 to 30 degrees Celsius (cold winters and hot summers)
  4. 4. Plants In a Temperate Deciduous Forest, there can be up to 5 zones. The first zone is the Tree Stratum Zone. This zone contains large deciduous trees such as Beach, Oak, Maple, and Hickory.
  5. 5. Plants Cont. The second zone is called the small tree and sapling zone. This zone contains shorter and younger trees. The third zone is called the shrub zone, containing shrubs such as mountain laurel and huckleberries.
  6. 6. Plants Cont. The fourth zone is called the herb zone, which contains short plants such as herbal plants, wildflowers, and berries. The final zone is called the ground zone which contains mosses and lichen.
  7. 7. Animals Temperate Deciduous Forests, like every other biome, have certain animals that make it what it is. Some of these animals include: American Bald Eagle, American Black Bear, Duckbill Platypus, Chipmunk, Fat Dormouse, Least Weasel, White-Tailed Deer, Northern Cardinal, and Eastern Cottontail Rabbit.
  8. 8. Climate Precipitation  750 to 1,500 mm of rain per year Temperature  -30 to 30 degrees Celsius (cold winters and hot summers)
  9. 9. Bioaccumulation Things like pollution cause extreme damage to biomes such as Temperate Deciduous Forests. It causes acid rain which in turn can destroy the leaves, stunt the growth of fruit and even kill the trees. Pollution also causes Global Warming which causes less precipitation which means the forest won’t receive the amount of water that is necessary for optimal growth. This also affects the herbivores because it means there is less plants for them to eat.
  10. 10. Bioaccumulation Humans are extremely detrimental to the forests as we strip the trees away for our benefit. We clear huge areas of land for use in agriculture, clear cut logging, and mining. Mining is especially bad as the forests cannot re-grow on the damaged soil.
  11. 11. Intrusive Species An intrusive species is a plant or animal that is non-native to the biome and has a negative affect. Some examples for a Temperate Deciduous Forest are: •Wineberry  this plant grows quickly into dense thickets and takes over so that the trees no longer have any room to grow. •Japanese Knotweed  this plant spreads fast and dominates the land its on. Almost no other species of plant is able to grow where this one is. •Garlic Mustard  this plant is not only fast growing and takes over the land, but it also releases poisonous chemicals that harm the soil, fungi, and in turn the trees.
  12. 12. Energy Flows Second Trophic Level: The Primary Consumers use about 6,000 Kilocalories per square meter per year, however only 10% of this is stored in their bodies as the other 90% is used for cellular activities
  13. 13. Energy Flows Third Trophic Level: The Secondary Consumers are able to utilize 600 Kilocalories per square meter per year, however only 10% of this is stored in their bodies as the other 90% is used for cellular activities
  14. 14. Energy Flows Fourth Trophic Level: The Tertiary Consumers are only able to get 60 Kilocalories per square meter per year so they have to hunt a larger area in order to survive
  15. 15. Biotic Relationships Mutualism: An example of mutualism is the relationship between a deer and a bird. The bird gets food while eating insects off the deer and the deer gets rid of this insects on it. Parasitism: An example of parasitism is the relationship between a tapeworm and an animal. The tapeworm takes away nutrients from the animal in order to survive.
  16. 16. Biotic Relationships Commensalism: An example of commensalism is the relationship between a squirrel and a tree. The squirrel gets shelter and protection from predators and the tree is not harmed or benefitted.
  17. 17. Succession Succession is the order of plant growth. This is the succession of plant growth in a Temperate Deciduous Forest.
  18. 18. Predator-Prey Interactions An example of a predator-prey interaction is the relationship between a spider and insects. Insects, the prey, get eaten by the spider, the predator, to give the spider the nutrients it needs to survive.
  19. 19. Bibliography "Beech Tree Pictures." Beech Tree: Pictures, Photos, Images, Facts on Beech Trees. N.p., n.d. Web. 15 Feb. 2014. "Climate:." Temperate Deciduous Forest. N.p., n.d. Web. 13 Feb. 2014. "Climate:." Temperate Deciduous Forest. N.p., n.d. Web. 16 Feb. 2014. "Deciduous Forest Food Pyramid." Tutorvista.com. N.p., n.d. Web. 17 Feb. 2014. "Examples of Mutalism, Commensalism, Parasitism, and Predator and Prey - Www.temperatedecidiousforest.com." Www.temperatedecidiousforest.com. N.p., n.d. Web. 17 Feb. 2014. "Falling Trees Help Invasive Wineberry Move into Deciduous Forests in North America." Smithsonian Science. N.p., n.d. Web. 17 Feb. 2014.
  20. 20. Bibliography "Statue Tree Information from Statues to Trees. Then Plant, Relax and Enjoy!" Statue Tree. N.p., n.d. Web. 15 Feb. 2014. "Temperate Decidious Group A." Cougarbiology /. N.p., n.d. Web. 15 Feb. 2014. "Temperate Deciduous Forest - Biomes of the World." Biomes of the World. N.p., n.d. Web. 17 Feb. 2014. "Temperate Deciduous Forest : Mission: Biomes." Temperate Deciduous Forest : Mission: Biomes. N.p., n.d. Web. 16 Feb. 2014. "Temperate Deciduous Forest Animal Printouts EnchantedLearning.com." Temperate Deciduous Forest Animal Printouts - EnchantedLearning.com. N.p., n.d. Web. 14 Feb. 2014. "Temperate Deciduous Forests." Prezi.com. N.p., n.d. Web. 17 Feb. 2014.
  21. 21. Bibliography "Habitat Awareness Temperate Deciduous Forest." Habitat Awareness Temperate Deciduous Forest. N.p., n.d. Web. 15 Feb. 2014. "Migration Research Foundation - Labrador 2006 - Flora." Migration Research Foundation - Labrador 2006 - Flora. N.p., n.d. Web. 15 Feb. 2014. "Moss Art." Moss Art. N.p., n.d. Web. 15 Feb. 2014. "Page Not Found – Live Your Dream." Walking On Water RSS. N.p., n.d. Web. 15 Feb. 2014. "Reforestation.me." Reforestationme. N.p., n.d. Web. 17 Feb. 2014. "Signs of Spring 14: Rise of the Exotic Invasives!" Ecologist's Notebook. N.p., n.d. Web. 17 Feb. 2014.
  22. 22. THE END
  1. A particular slide catching your eye?

    Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.

×