Using Wikispaces for Instruction & Computer Supported Collaborative Learning by Kimberly Brown, Maryland English Institute
Benefits of collaborative learning?
- Develops higher level thinking skills
- Enhances student satisfaction with the learning experience
- Develops oral communication skills
- Develops social interaction skills
- Creates an environment of active, involved, exploratory learning
- Encourages diversity understanding
- Encourages student responsibility for learning
- Encourages alternate student assessment techniques
- Greater ability of students to view situations from others' perspectives (development of empathy)
Computer Supported Collaborative Learning
- With new developments in collaborative platforms, such as Wikisapces, we have the unique ability to collaborate across cultures.
Creating & Designing a Course Wikispace
Go to the Wikispaces main page – www.wikispaces.com
Click on Make a New Space
Give your space a name. Protect your space.
To change how your space looks, go to manage space. Click edit navigation to add categories to the navigation bar. To edit a page, click Edit This Page
To make a link to another page on your Wiki or to an external site, underline the word or words you wan to link and click on the link icon. This page will appear and you can choose your link.
To insert an image or a file into a page, click on the palm tree icon…(I think it’s a palm tree, anyway), Then, browse your computer for the file or image that you want and click upload.
To embed a widget into your page, click on the TV icon and choose the application you would like to embed.
How can Wikis be used in instruction and computer supported collaborative learning?
- Power Point/grades/calendars/student pages/assessment
- Uses in collaborative learning
- With students in the same class
- With students in different schools/cities/states/countries
Examples www.tu2008.wikispaces.com www.004c2008.wikispaces.com