The Craft of Business
And an Opportunity for You
Chris Sita and David Kim
Subscribe to growth blog (http://goo.gl/lpVrK7)
Craft of Business 1
Why Talk About This?
This might be good for you if you are:
• Lost in the details, news, advice
• Distracted by others’ success stories
• Chasing endless number of ideas
• Have ideas but not sure how to apply them
Craft of Business 2
What is Business?
Forget what it can be. Simply, a business is:
• An offer and a way to deliver it to customers
• A solution, for which customers pay.
A business is really just two things. An offer and
customers who value that offer.
Craft of Business 3
A Business is
Craft of Business 4
• Intersection is revenues
• Bringing the two together => distribution
strategy => is like gravity
Img source: Sue me, Scotty!
What is Craft?
• Craft is a profession that requires skilled work.
• Quality craft takes time to master.
A craft is really just two things. A skill cultivated
over time, sometimes very long time.
If you become a master, people will make a bust of you, like they do of Beethoven.
Craft of Business 5
Img source: Wikimedia
A Quality Craft is
Craft of Business 6
Img source: Wikipedia
Chartres Cathedral – North Rose Window
Craft of Business
• There are businesses that are basic solutions
delivered to customers for money.
• You can do more and be more if you cultivate
a sense of craftsmanship.
• You can make your business more human,
more timeless, more beautiful, more valuable.
• Most importantly, it should be unique to you
and recognize it takes time to build something
Craft of Business 7
What Can You Do?
• If you could teach someone anything (or sell
anything), what would it be?
• Who would you teach it (or sell it) to?
• How much would you offer it for?
• How much would s/he pay you for it?
• Not enough to get the ideas firing?
Craft of Business 8
When in doubt, 2x2 your offering
Craft of Business 9
Still High-level, but …
• That’s the point. Start with who you are, and
where you fit in, and recognize there are
customers for what you might offer.
• Along the spectrum, are you more interested
in profit or in craftsmanship? The question
and answer is unique to you.
• Ready for more? Check out order of
magnitude of offerings.
Craft of Business 10
Tell us, or send us $19 bills via email.
Craft of Business 11
Chris Sita David Kim