3. They answer the questionsThey answer the questions
How often?How often?
How sure?How sure?
4. Adverbs that modifyAdverbs that modify verbsverbs can gocan go
in several different places in ain several different places in a
At the beginningAt the beginning
At the endAt the end
After the helping verbAfter the helping verb
5. Adverbs that modifyAdverbs that modify adjectivesadjectives andand
other adverbs go directly before theother adverbs go directly before the
words they modify.words they modify.
She is always late.She is always late.
6. Add –ly to adjectives to form manyAdd –ly to adjectives to form many
Quick – quicklyQuick – quickly
careful – carefullycareful – carefully
nice – nicelynice – nicely
easeasyy - eas- easiilyly
7. Children learn new languagesChildren learn new languages
He speaks EnglishHe speaks English very wellvery well..
8. Many adverbs do not end in –ly.Many adverbs do not end in –ly.
9. Adverbs of timeAdverbs of time
adverbs of manneradverbs of manner
adverbs of frequencyadverbs of frequency
adverbs of possibilityadverbs of possibility
11. Position of adverbs ofPosition of adverbs of
After the main verb when there isAfter the main verb when there is
no object.no object.
After the verb + objectAfter the verb + object
12. I speak slowly.I speak slowly.
I read the article slowlyI read the article slowly
13. Many adverbs of manner areMany adverbs of manner are
formed from adjectives +formed from adjectives + lyly
Adjectives that end in –y drop theAdjectives that end in –y drop the
-y and add –-y and add –ilyily
Adjectives that end in –Adjectives that end in –icic or –or –icalical
add -add -allyally
14. Irregular forms of adverbs andIrregular forms of adverbs and
• Friendly, lively, lovely, lonely
• Good, well
15. Adverbs ofAdverbs of placeplace telltell wherewhere
something is or where it happens.something is or where it happens.
(location). They also express(location). They also express
where something or someone iswhere something or someone is
going (direction).going (direction).
Here, there, up, down, in, out,Here, there, up, down, in, out,
inside, together, back, awayinside, together, back, away
16. Position of adverb ofPosition of adverb of
After the main verb when there is noAfter the main verb when there is no
object, or after verb + objectobject, or after verb + object
Direction adverbs always come after aDirection adverbs always come after a
pronoun objectpronoun object
17. We left herWe left her here.here.
We took the childrenWe took the children backback
We gaveWe gave backback the money.the money.
We took itWe took it backback..
19. Position of adverbs ofPosition of adverbs of
At the beginning or at the end ofAt the beginning or at the end of
the clausethe clause
EarlyEarly andand latelate go at the endgo at the end
20. YesterdayYesterday, I took the children to the, I took the children to the
I took the children to the moviesI took the children to the movies
I went homeI went home earlyearly..
She cameShe came latelate..
21. Adverbs ofAdverbs of frequencyfrequency telltell howhow
oftenoften something happenssomething happens
always, usually, often,always, usually, often,
seldom, neverseldom, never
22. Position of adverbs ofPosition of adverbs of
After the subject andAfter the subject and bebe..
Before other main verbsBefore other main verbs
23. She isShe is alwaysalways hungry.hungry.
SheShe alwaysalways comescomes latelate..
24. Adverbs ofAdverbs of possibilitypossibility telltell howhow
suresure we are about somethingwe are about something
certainly, definitely, probably,certainly, definitely, probably,
perhaps, maybe, possiblyperhaps, maybe, possibly
25. Position of adverbs ofPosition of adverbs of
PerhapsPerhaps andand maybemaybe are at theare at the
beginning of the sentencebeginning of the sentence
The others go after the subject and beThe others go after the subject and be
but before other main verbsbut before other main verbs
26. PerhapsPerhaps we should eat in thewe should eat in the
cafeteria today.cafeteria today.
II certainlycertainly want you in the nextwant you in the next
27. Adverbs ofAdverbs of degreedegree make the wordmake the word
they modifythey modify strongerstronger oror weakerweaker..
Extremely, too, very, so, really,Extremely, too, very, so, really,
quite, enough, almost, hardlyquite, enough, almost, hardly
28. Position of adverbs ofPosition of adverbs of
Before the word they modifyBefore the word they modify
EnoughEnough comes after the word itcomes after the word it
29. They are also calledThey are also called intensifiers.intensifiers.
They modify verbs, adjectives,They modify verbs, adjectives,
other adverbs and quantifiers.other adverbs and quantifiers.
30. You workYou work tootoo hard.hard.
I donI don’t eat’t eat veryvery much.much.
YouYou almostalmost failed the exam.failed the exam.
You don’t sleepYou don’t sleep enoughenough
She doesn’t try hardShe doesn’t try hard enoughenough..
He worksHe works hardhard..
He is aHe is a hardhard worker.worker.
HeHe hardlyhardly works.works.
32. Enough (quantifier)Enough (quantifier)
I haveI have enoughenough money to livemoney to live
It comes before the nounIt comes before the noun
Enough (intensifier)Enough (intensifier)
You arenYou aren’t eating’t eating enough.enough.
It comes after the noun it modifies.It comes after the noun it modifies.
She is soShe is so nicenice..
She is suchShe is such a nice girla nice girl..