1. Olympic Games A brief history The modern Olympics were the idea of pierre de coubertin,a French aristocrat. They began in 1896and, excepting the two World Wars, have been held every four years since.
2. According to the Olympic Charter,established by Pierre de Coubertin, thegoal of the Olympic Movement is tocontribute to building a peaceful andbetter world by educating youth throughsport practiced without discrimination ofany kind and in the Olympic spirit, whichrequires mutual understanding with aspirit of friendship, solidarity and fairplay.
3. 1896 ATHENS245 men from 14 nations competed. The Marathon was born. American students dominated the Athletics.
4. •1900 PARIS 1319 people from 22 countries entered. The Games wereeclipsed by thegreat exhibition. Women competed for the first time.
5. 1904 St.LOUIS687Competitors from 13 nations took part.525 of the USA .
6. 1908 LONDON2035 Men and women from 22 countries took part.
7. 1912STOCKHOLM 2547 Athletesfrom 28 countries took part. Swimming and Pentathlon included for the first time. Electronic timingdevices were used for the first time.
8. 1920 ANTWERP Germany, Austria , Bulgaria, Hungary and Turkey were not invited.• 1924 PARIS Olympic motto was coined.Faster,higher and Stronger.
9. 1924 PARIS Olympic motto wascoined.Faster,higher and Stronger.
10. 1928 AMSTERDAM 3014 Athletes from 46 countries took part.• 1932 LOS ANGELES• Automatic timing devices and the Photo finish Camera were introduce.
11. 1932 LOS ANGELESAutomatic timing devices and the Photo finish Camera were introduce.
12. 1936 BERLINJesse Owens USA won Four Gold Medals.
13. 1948 LONDON Germany and Japan were not invited and USSR did not sent a team.• 1952 HELSINKI• USSR Competed for the first time.
14. 1952HELSINKI USSRCompeted forthe first time.
15. 1956 MELBOURNE First Olympics held in the Southern Hemisphere.• 1960 ROME• This was the last Games to which South Africa was invited for 32 years.
16. 1960 ROME This was the last Games to which South Africa wasinvited for 32 years.
17. 1964 TOKYO First Olympics held in Asia, Judo and Volleyball were introduce.•
18. 1968 MEXICO CITY Mexico was controversialbecause of the high altitude.
19. 1972 MUNICHFull Scale drug testing began,USA lost theBasket ball final to USSR for the first time. Eleven members of the Israeli team were murdered by Palestinian terrorists.
20. 1976 MONTREAL The Games were boycotted by African Nations inprotest at the IOC’s refusal to bar New Zealand after a rugby tour of South Africa by its All Blacks team.
21. 1980 MOSCOWUSA,Canada,West Germany and Japan boycotted the Games.
22. 1984 LOS ANGELES USSR boycotted the Games as a revenge for the Moscow boycott. Daley Thompson UK won thedecathlon gold for the second Olympics in succession.
23. 1988 SEOULFlorence Griffith Joyner won three gold and a silver for the USA,Canadian Ben Johnson won the 100m in a world record time but was stripped of his gold three days later after testing positive for steroids.
24. 1992 BARCELONAFormer Soviet republics competed as the Unified Teamunder Olympic Flag. South Africa returned to Olympic competition following the ending of apartheid.
25. 1996 ATLANTA 10744 Athletes from 197 countries participated.Michael Johnson of USA completed an unprecedenteddouble by winning the 200M and 400M sprint. He won 200M with a world record.
26. 2000 SYDNEY10651 athletes from 199 countries took part. The Triathlon was held for the first time.
27. 2004 ATHENS11000 Athletes from 199 countries took part.
28. 2008 BEIJING
29. HISTORIC OLYMPIC EMBLEMS
30. LONDON 2012
31. PHOTO GALLARY100 East50 West 0 North 1st Qtr 2nd Qtr 3rd Qtr 4th Qtr
32. Each new dawn brings thepossibility of a new progress. END J.Jayakrishnan