Cast Iron Soil Pipe & Fittings
Domestic vs Import
• CISPI is an exclusive and closed marketing association, whose
members are comprised of the two remaining domestic pipe
manufacturers, Tyler Pipe and Charlotte Pipe.
• Unlike IAPMO, ASTM or UL, CISPI is not an independent listing
and testing agency with hundreds of quality control engineers
and thousands of members.
• Many have been led to believe that the CISPI 301 standard is
the only acceptable standard for cast iron soil pipe and
• It is one of two nationally recognized standards.
• CISPI recognizes the ASTM A-888 as an equal and alternate
• CISPI accepts the listing and compliance certificates issued
• CISPI members have their products tested by IAPMO R&T, and
evaluated for compliance with ASTM A-888.
• A spec allowing only pipe with the CISPI logo is restrictive and
eliminates the essential variable called competition, and all of
its associated benefits. It creates a pure monopoly.
Page 8 of the CISPI Handbook
….accordance with the ASTM A888 or CISPI 301
Hubless cast iron soil pipe and fittings are simply pipe and
fittings manufactured without a hub, in accordance with
ASTM A888 or CISPI 301.
CISPI clearly accepts the
as an equal alternative
The key operative word is or.
Food for Thought
• The “domestic only” spec is singularly exclusive
to cast iron soil pipe and fittings used in waste
drain and vent system.
Not applicable to:
• The copper pipes, drinking fountains or faucets
that carry the potable water that we drink
• The coils, fans and louvers in a HVAC system
that moves the air that we breathe
• The regulators and manifolds in a medical gas
system delivering life saving oxygen
• The steel pipe that delivers natural gas to heat
our buildings and hot water.
Consider the storm of protests
that would certainly meet any attempt to require
all of the above materials to meet the
Removed the “domestic only” language
Call to Action
Would you consider?
• Leveling the playing field
Allow competition and the free market system to exert
their influence as it does with every other product
Remove the “domestic only” and “must have the CISPI
logo” language from the spec for this project and your
• Replacing it with the following:
….the cast iron pipe and fittings shall meet the
CISPI 301 or ASTM A-888 quality standard
and shall be
listed and certified by IAPMO.
Thank you for considering this matter
Trade Warrior Consulting
Matco Norca Representitive