September 18, 2013
Warm-Up: Equation Practice
Distributive Property Equations
At the v6
1. Updated test 1 scores from make-ups & re-scans.
2. Weekly Extra Credit Opportunity: Tuesday’s Teaser
3. Equation Solving Tutorial Posted
Test #2: Tuesday, September 24th
1. Translation Word Problems
2. Equations—of all types we have covered
1. Together, a bat and ball cost $1.10. The bat costs
$1.00 more than the ball. How much does each cost?
Write an equation for the above problem. Solve.
( + ) + ( - ) +
= + + - +
= 2 +
Pencils Down, Mental Math. Do not answer
until I ask
1. 3x + 5 = 11 2. 2x - 4 = 6
5. 3x - 2 = 2x + 6
Last Warm-Up: Order of Operations
13 – (9 – 6) ÷ (6 – 4 + (5 – 2)2
Identifying the number of terms, like terms,
coefficients, and constants in expressions and equations
1. 3 + 7x + 3x + x No. of Terms? Like Terms?
2. 2a + 5c – a + 6a 3. 7x – 3y + 3z - 2
-2/3 = x/6 + 1 ½
1. Change any mixed fractions to improper fractions
2. Move those terms not connected to the variable first.
3. Isolate the variable by either multiplying or dividing on
Variable on one side of the equation
Variable on both sides of the equation
-2/3 - x/3 = x/6 + 1 ½
2. Figure out what side you want to move the variable to
before moving other terms.
Solving Equations using the Distributive Property
-(8d – 7) – 63 = 0
N = -36
Clearing Decimals from Equations
Handout Distributive Property