TRANSPORTATION• Need roads to go west• Wilderness Road – Daniel Boone helped with this road – First federally funded highway
• Travel by water was difficult• Steamboat was invented – Robert Fulton
• Use of canals• Canal – shallow, manmade water highway that connects two bodies of water• Erie Canal was most famous
• Railroads – Peter Cooper did first major trial of railroad – Better travel than the canals
COMMUNICATION• Telegraph – Samuel F. B. Morse invented it – Came about because of a need from the railroads – Used during the Mexican War
INDUSTRY• Industrial Revolution – Happened in the North first• Factory System – Collect many workers in one place and turn out many similar items in one day – Britain forbade anyone with knowledge of factories to leave Britain.
• Samuel Slater – Left England to come to US with knowledge
• Elias Howe and Isaac Singer – Created sewing machine