They wanted to get rid of the British and pushed for a stronger defense
Government had voted against rechartering the National Bank…public refused to buy war bonds to support the war
A rain started that kept it from further damage.The smoke damage was so great that it had to be painted white, so called the white house
The flag was made by Mary Young Pickersgill…400 yards of fabric…30x42 foot flag…stars were 26 inches across…stripes were two feet wide…could be seen from several miles away on a clear day…flew over Fort McHenry
Protected the LA purchaseFought after the war had officially ended, but neither side knew it
1. The War Hawks• Group of 40 men who worked to get Henry Clay elected as Speaker of the House
2. Henry Clay
3. War of 1812• Americans wanted the Orders of Council suspended• Britain finally decided to do so on June 16• But America declared war on June 18
4. Problems the Americans had:1. Had a small army – Only 67,000 troops – States were unwilling to commit their troops2. No National bank to borrow money from3. Poor communication network4. Older generals
5. Highlights of the War• The first year, the Americans were only successful at sea with the USS Constitution (called “Old Ironsides”)
6. • The British burned Capitol Hill and the president’s house in Washington D.C.
7. • Francis Scott Key wrote the “Star Spangled Banner” during this war.
8. Francis Scott Key
9. • The Battle of New Orleans was the biggest victory of the war for the Americans
10. Treaty of Ghent• Called the “Treaty of Christmas Eve”• Ended the War of 1812
11. Results of the War of 18121. US gained respect in the eyes of other nations2. Created greater sense of nationalism3. New war heroes emerged4. America developed own industry