Prior to this, trade was limited between German territoriesIt reduced the cost of selling goods and greatly increased the volume of trade among the member states.
Bismarck became the driving force behind political unification of the German states. He used diplomacy, propaganda, and military might to unite the Germans
Prussia and Austria went to war against Denmark…Danes lost and area of Schleswig went to Prussia and Holstein went to AustriaThen tricked Austria to go to war against Prussia…lasted 7 weeks and Austria was smashed…Austria ssurrendered Holstein to Prussia
Leopold declined the offer, but this wasn’t good enough.
Sent the report to BismarkBismarck had accomplished his goal!
Used whatever means necessary to gain unification
Ch 12 sec 4
• Zollverein –
formed to enhance
trade between the
• King Wilhelm I appointed Count Otto von
Bismarck as the chancellor of Prussia
• Bismarck worked to unify Germany through
wars with and against Austria
• Leopold (from the Hohenzollern family) was
asked to be king of Spain, but France felt
threatened by this.
• French demanded that the Prussian king make
a promise that no member of the
Hohenzollern family would ever rule Spain.
• Prussian king refused and sent report to
• Bismarck changed the wording on the report
and published it.
• War was declared!
• The German states sided with Prussia against
• German unification had been accomplished
• Giuseppe Mazzini formed
a group called Young Italy
to work to unify Italy
• Count Camillo de Cavour was the prime
minister of the Kingdom of Sardinia
• Sent troops to support Britain and France in
wars against Russia
• Really just symbolic, but used this later for
• Giuseppi Garibaldi formed an army known as
the “Red Shirts” and conquered the island of