PACIFIC INVESTMENT MANAGEMENT COMPANY (PIMCO)
REQUEST FOR INFORMATION (RFI)
CAPITAL RAISING SERVICES
IN CONNECTION WITH
THE U.S. DEPARTMENT OF THE TREASURY’S LEGACY
SECURITIES PUBLIC-PRIVATE INVESTMENT FUND PROGRAM
DATE ISSUED: April 6, 2009
OBJECTIVE: PIMCO is seeking veteran-, minority- and women-owned enterprises to partner with to
provide specified services and participate in the United States Department of the Treasury’s Public-
Private Investment Program with the stated objective of generating attractive returns for taxpayers and
private investors. The Public Private Investment Program will initially include securities backed by
mortgages on residential and commercial properties on behalf of taxpayers and private investors. The
Treasury may expand the scope of assets that may be held in such funds.
SCOPE OF SERVICE: A firm that specializes in capital raising in the investment management industry
to potentially partner with PIMCO to raise and support related servicing of private funds for the Public-
Private Investment Fund Program.
QUALITIFICATIONS: Candidate organizations will possess a strong track record in investment related
fundraising along with the expertise to discuss and educate potential investors on the topic of
structured finance. A candidate firm must demonstrate the ability to raise at least $50 million.
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION OF PROPOSALS: Proposals must be received by the RFI Point of
Contact no later than 5:00 p.m. Pacific Standard Time on April 20, 2009. Late responses may be
considered at PIMCO’s discretion.
INTRODUCTION AND BACKGROUND
A. PIMCO OVERVIEW
PIMCO is a leading global investment management firm with more than 1,200 employees in offices in Newport
Beach California, New York City, Amsterdam, Singapore, Tokyo, London, Sydney, Munich, Toronto, and Hong
We manage assets for an array of clients, including retirement and investment assets that reach more than 8
million people in the U.S. and millions more around the world. Our institutional clients include state, municipal
and union pension and retirement plans whose members come from many walks of life, such as teachers and
public safety employees. We are also asset managers to numerous corporations, universities, foundations and
We are dedicated to our clients. From our founding in 1971, PIMCO's global team of investment
professionals has been dedicated to seeking to consistently manage risk and deliver returns to our clients. We
serve individual investors through pooled and mutual funds in the U.S. and Europe and offer institutional clients
mutual funds as well as privately managed separate accounts.
We are committed to being the best provider of global investment solutions in the world. Our thought
leadership, talent, technology and long-term investment approach drive our abilities around the globe. We offer
a continually evolving set of solutions across all asset classes in an effort to provide investors with consistent
returns, superior risk management and topflight client service.
We are a trendsetter in the asset-management industry, and have been throughout our 38-year history. We
remain at the forefront today, pioneering the use of innovative solutions for our clients. Our investment process
and operational structure drive our ability to anticipate client needs and respond quickly to ever-changing
economic and market environments.
B. PROPOSAL DEADLINE
Proposals must be received in a Microsoft Word (version 97 or higher) file by the RFI Point of Contact no
later than 5:00 p.m. Pacific Standard Time on April 20, 2009. PIMCO reserves the right to extend the
submission deadline should this be in the interest of PIMCO.
C. PIMCO POLICY
Provided below is PIMCO’s Equal Employment Opportunity Policy. For purposes of this RFI, the term
“Company” shall mean PIMCO.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
PIMCO is committed to equal-employment principals and recognizes the value of committed employees who
feel their company treats them in an equitable and professional manner. Employment decisions are based
solely on merit, qualifications, performance, competence and the company’s business needs. They are not
based on considerations such as race, color, creed, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, citizen status, religion,
sex, age, disability, medical condition, marital status, sexual orientation, domestic partner status, or any other
characteristic or condition protected by applicable state or federal law. It is also against Company policy to
discriminate against any qualified disabled employee or applicant, against a disabled veteran, or against a
veteran in the Vietnam era. It is against Company policy to unlawfully discriminate in any aspect of
employment. Such aspects of employment include, but are not limited to, recruitment, hiring, promotion,
demotion, transfer, layoff, termination, compensation, and training. Additionally, it is a Company policy that all
employees enjoy a work environment free from all forms of unlawful harassment of a sexual or other unlawful
discriminatory nature. Any conduct contrary to this policy is prohibited.
This equal opportunity policy applies to all employees and applicants for employment and all aspects of the
employment relationship. The employment relationship – the affiliation between the employee and PIMCO and
the terms that drive it – includes recruitment, hiring, promotion, transfer, training, compensation, benefits and all
other employee programs.
Non-Discrimination on the Basis of Disability
The Company complies with the provisions of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and all related
regulations issued to protect the rights of qualified disabled persons. The Company is committed to ensure that
no program or activity administered by The Company shall exclude you from participation, deny benefit, or
subject you to discrimination by reason of your disability. Equal employment opportunity will be extended to
qualified disabled persons in all aspects of the employment relationship, including but not limited to,
recruitment, hiring, promotion, demotion, transfer, layoff, termination, compensation, and training. The
Company will provide reasonable accommodations to known physical or mental limitations of an otherwise
qualified disabled employee or applicant.
D. QUESTIONS REGARDING THE RFI
Questions regarding this RFI should be sent via email to:
Contact: The Business Outreach Team
The Business Outreach Team is the Point of Contact for this RFI and email communication may be sent at any
time prior to the RFI due date. PIMCO will make every effort to respond to all written questions as soon as
practical. Written email questions should reference “Capital Raising”, and identify the RFI section and page
number for each question submitted.
PIMCO will accept your company’s response to this request for information electronically. The electronic
response must be provided in a Microsoft Word (version 97 or higher) file.
A. General Firm
1. Contact Information
3. Type of legal entity (corporation, limited liability company, joint venture, partnership, domicile, etc.)
4. Location of principal office.
5. Please describe any affiliations with other firms
6. What are your business growth plans and objectives over the next 3 - 5 years?
7. Please provide an organizational chart and representative client list.
8. Please provide proof or certification of your status as a veteran-, minority- and women-owned enterprise.
9. Please provide proof of financial stability.
10. Please provide proof of applicable insurance coverage. Also, list any pertinent insurance claims in the past
11. Please concisely describe the services you are proposing (1-2 paragraphs):
B. History and Experience
1. Briefly describe your firm's history, from founding to present.
2. Please list the number of full-time employees. What was the total staff turnover for the past five years?
3. Please describe any past experience you have partnering with investment managers or offering your
services to an investment manager in any relevant capacity.
4. Has your firm had experience as a manager of or partner to a manager of privately offered funds? If so,
please summarize your procedures for ensuring compliance with private placement regulations under U.S.
C. Firm Procedures and Required Documentation
1. What state or federal licenses or registrations does your company have?
2. Has the firm established a Code of Ethics and/or formal compliance procedures? Please explain and
provide copies of the documents if available.
3. Please list the primary systems used for day to day activities. What backup procedures are in place? Do
you have detailed, documented Information Security standards and procedures? What procedures are in
place to protect the confidentiality of your clients and their data?
D. Capital Raising Services
1. Please provide a table showing the dollar amount of capital raised categorized by specific asset type and
strategy, by geographic region and by quarter/year.
2. Please provide a detailed background which reflects your access to funds. Include: Geography and
Investor type (e.g. pension, endowment, high net worth, banks, insurance companies, sovereign wealth
funds, central banks, etc).
3. Please provide an in-depth background on your technical expertise and abilities to market various asset
classes. (E.g. fixed income sectors, structured finance, distressed debt, merger arb, etc).
4. Please attach a sample presentation and pitch (remove all proprietary information).
5. Please discuss your organization’s distribution strengths and weaknesses.
6. Who are the persons who would be assigned to this project? Please provide biographies for these persons,
including their technical degree.
7. Please provide a sample contract or comment on pricing structure (up-front, on-going, deferred).
8. How do you expect expenses to be incurred and will they be passed directly onto PIMCO or does your
pricing structure reflect the costs?
E. Regulatory or Contractual Actions
1. Has your company or any of its officers, partners or directors or persons controlling your company
(“Representatives”) been the subject of any investigation, proceeding, or had a complaint filed, with any
state or federal regulatory agency or office in the past five years? Has your company or any of its
Representatives ever had a license to do business, an agent/broker license or any other insurance license
revoked or suspended? Has your company or any of its Representatives ever been reprimanded,
disciplined or otherwise cited by a licensing agency? When was your most recent examination or audit by a
licensing agency? If any of these apply, please describe fully.
2. Disclose the extent to which your Company or any of its Representatives has been sued, or had other legal
action initiated by clients, within the last five years.
3. Identify and describe any past, pending or threatened judicial or administrative litigation (including lawsuits
or protests) in which you have litigated against a client or prospective client, within the past five years,
related to the type of services you are proposing. Indicate the reasons for the lawsuit/protest and the
outcome. Provide contact information for the entity sued or challenged.
4. Describe any incident within the past five years in which your business has had a contract terminated for
default. Termination for default is defined as notice to stop performance due to your organization’s non-
performance or poor performance and the issue was either not litigated or litigated and such litigation
determined your organization to be in default. Submit full details of all termination for default experienced
by your firm during the past five years including the other party’s name, address, telephone number and
your firm’s position on the matter. PIMCO will evaluate the facts and may, at its sole discretion, reject your
firm’s proposal if the facts discovered indicate that completion of a contract resulting from this RFI may be
jeopardized by selection of your firm. If your firm has experienced no termination for default in the past five
years, so indicate.
5. Has your company or its subsidiaries or any of its or their Representatives ever filed or been petitioned into
bankruptcy or insolvency or has your company ever made any assignment for the benefit of your creditors?
If so, provide complete details.
6. Please describe any potential conflicts of interest your firm may have. Include a description of any other
business affiliations and whether or not they may be perceived as a conflict of interest.
7. In the past ten years, has your company or any of its Representatives (i) been convicted of or plead guilty
or nolo contendere in a domestic, foreign, or military court to any felony? Or (ii)been charged with a felony?
8. Please describe any aspect of your company and its personnel that you may have reason to believe may
disqualify any of them from engaging in work involving United States governmental agencies or
F. Additional Information
1. What distinguishing features of your firm set you apart from the competition?
2. Provide any additional data your business believes essential to the evaluation of your Proposal.
3. Provide as references five clients with whom you have worked in the past five years providing services you
consider most similar to those requested by PIMCO in this RFI. Provide a contact name, e-mail address,
mailing address, and phone number so that PIMCO may contact these references. Include, if applicable,
the approximate number of participants, client size, and a brief description of services provided.
SUBMISSION REQUIREMENTS AND GENERAL INFORMATION
This RFI represents the initiation of a competitive process designed to obtain the services of the most
competent bidder consistent with PIMCO’s general contracting requirements. PIMCO will follow the general
guidelines below in evaluating those Proposals, selecting successful contractors, and awarding Contracts.
PIMCO shall have sole discretion over the evaluation of the Proposals. Proposals will be evaluated at two
primary levels: Responsiveness to General Requirements and Technical Competence.
A. Responsiveness to General Requirements
A valid Proposal must be deemed responsive to the RFI. Responsiveness will be determined based on the
completeness of RFI responses.
B. Technical Competence
1. PIMCO has designated staff to evaluate/score the Technical Competence of all proposals using objective
evaluation criteria relevant for this area. All written responses to the RFI questionnaire will be considered
2. Verification of Proposal and Contract Negotiation - All applicable Contractual requirements must be met by
the Proposer. The successful Proposer must, in a timely manner, enter into such Contract with the
Contracting authority as may be necessary to implement services. Failure of the Proposer to successfully
agree to the terms of a Contract within the allocated time period may be grounds for the Contracting
authority to award the Contract to another Proposer.
3. Proposal Selection - Selection of a Proposal will be made for the Proposal with the best combination of
experience, and quality of service delivery.
4. Execution of Contract - Unless otherwise stated, Proposals submitted shall be irrevocable for a period of
180 days following the Proposal submission date. A response to this RFI is an offer to Contract with
PIMCO based upon the terms, conditions, service level agreement, and specifications contained in the
Proposal submitted. A Contract will be developed after PIMCO makes an initial Proposal selection.
However, selection of a Proposal does not represent an obligation of PIMCO to enter into a Contract with
the Proposer, and PIMCO may elect to terminate the RFI and reject all proposals at any time prior to
execution of a Contract. Execution of a Contract is dependent upon the Proposer and PIMCO agreeing on
all terms and conditions of the final Contract. The Proposer(s) to whom a Contract is awarded shall be
required to enter into a written Contract with PIMCO in a form approved by PIMCO. This RFI and the
Proposal, in whole or in part, may be incorporated into the final Contract.
5. General Reservations - The Proposer may not make any changes, additions or modifications to its
Proposal after the deadline for receipt of proposals PIMCO will reject any proposal materially enhanced or
modified after it has been submitted but before an initial selection has been made.
PIMCO reserves the right to withdraw this RFI at any time without prior notice. PIMCO makes no representation
that any Contract will be awarded to any Proposer responding to the RFI. PIMCO reserves the right to reject
any or all submissions. PIMCO reserves the right to require an interview in order to clarify vendor responses to
questions in the RFI.
If an inadequate number of proposals is received or the proposals received are deemed non-responsive, not
qualified or not cost effective, PIMCO may at its sole discretion reissue the RFI or execute a sole-source
Contract with a vendor.
PIMCO reserves the right to verify all information in the proposal.
The email response must be provided in a Microsoft Word (version 97 or higher) file no later than 5:00 p.m.
Pacific Standard Time of the stated Proposal due date. The email response must include the following in the
subject line: “PIMCO Capital Raising RFI”, followed by your company name.
Final RFI responses should be emailed to:
Contact: The Business Outreach Team