3. The academy - NIA <ul><li>NIA is a training, research, education and outreach academic institution that works with scholars, practitioners, policy experts, and government officials to bridge academic theory and real-world practice. NIA is now a term used to describe the bustling activity associated with insurance markets, trade, and commerce. Here the world of action and the world of learning are unified. In addition, our openness emphasizes the fallibility of man and the need for competitive dialogue. NIA seeks to foster this dialogue and to highlight the dynamic experimentation and innovation that are essential features of the market process. NIA’s ongoing Public Sector Leadership as promoters has been a source of strength, which manifests the concept and importance of Private Public Partnership (PPP). </li></ul>
4. Team NIA epitomizes: <ul><li>Clear roles and responsibilities, coupled with a distribution of decision-making authority that allowed professionals to achieve the outcomes for which they were responsible </li></ul><ul><li>Internal communication of results that fueled employees’ intrinsic motivation. </li></ul><ul><li>Customer-friendly systems for gathering key information from stakeholders and particularly promoters. </li></ul><ul><li>A small organizational size, which facilitates informal transfer of knowledge. </li></ul><ul><li>Core values that are actually implemented in practice. </li></ul><ul><li>Use of the academy’s mission to shape communication strategies with key constituencies. </li></ul><ul><li>Leadership that drove a change from a rule-driven to a results-driven culture. </li></ul>
5. Diversification and integration <ul><li>We just completed our Silver Jubilee year. We have diversified to harness the full effect of our core competencies. But we have also quickly integrated our learning platform to create a forward-looking cohesive institution within the preamble of its societal structure. Core training activities in all lines of insurance and risk management are boldly cemented to education, research and publication activities. </li></ul><ul><li>We like to refer to our MBA as ‘The NIA Way’ - this is because we have a unique approach to teaching the most significant business qualification obtainable. By choosing to take your MBA at our School, you will find yourself exposed to an energetic, fast moving environment and some of the best discourses of business disciplines across the world, whether the student joins full time NIASoM meant for new entrants or flexi time NIASEE meant for working executives . </li></ul>
6. The NIA WAY <ul><li>Both students and faculty are representative of the truly international nature of the city of Pune within which we are located. This is a feature of our MBA, which differentiates us from other business schools. ‘The NIA Way’ is a truly international learning experience where cultural boundaries are crossed and by the time of graduation, the student will have enjoyed an exceptionally challenging and exceptionally enlightening experience. </li></ul><ul><li>The core intention of the program is to further educate talented and dedicated individuals and provide them with the necessary foundations to make that next significant step in their career. By choosing ‘The NIA Way’, you will experience a range of academic disciplines, all of which will prove highly challenging. Having completed ‘The NIA Way’, you will find yourself fully prepared to enter the world of business management. </li></ul><ul><ul><li>We offer an impressive learning environment with excellent facilities and we are located in a truly international city. </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Whilst our MBA is extremely challenging, it will provide the graduate with significant opportunities in the years following graduation </li></ul></ul>
7. To accomplish the mission of the academy, our efforts are characterized by: <ul><li>A free market approach, which promotes vigorous competition based on knowledge and skills. </li></ul><ul><li>An atmosphere of integrity, trust, respect, cooperation and open communication between insurers, regulators, faculty, the media and the general public. </li></ul><ul><li>It is NIA’s policy to maintain the highest learning standards and comply with the letter and spirit of the academic best practices available anywhere in the World. </li></ul><ul><li>This is an exhilarating and challenging time for insurance in India. The pace of progress is rapid, and the sophisticated tools available to insurers and even customers today - from underwriting, loss adjusting to new technologies supporting business - far surpass anything that could have been predicted only a few decades ago </li></ul>
8. Extramurals <ul><li>Our educational philosophy is to give students an opportunity to go beyond the core curriculum and pursue electives and independent study, with a wide range of opportunities for second degrees. Students have many opportunities for extracurricular experience, whether working in the laboratory or learning from an internationally prominent investigator or caring for a family with no insurance through our superb STUDENT program. </li></ul><ul><li>And for students seeking a dual-specialization, we offer a variety of advanced training opportunities, leading to degrees in multiple disciplines. We have expanded our post-graduate opportunities beyond the usual insurance and risk management disciplines to support functional specializations in areas such as strategic management, finance, marketing, IT and the humanities. </li></ul>
9. Interdisciplinary <ul><li>The interdisciplinary collaboration throughout campus makes for an environment of incredible depth and breadth, vibrant with the excitement of exploration and invention. The synergy among faculty, staff and students, fosters innovation and learning. This approach has resulted in the unprecedented success of the academy, its faculty and graduates. </li></ul><ul><li>We are further expanding our focus by actively pursuing partnerships with respected academic institutions around the world, focusing on the Atlantic Rim. NIASoM is deeply invested in the future. We are committed to training students and leaders who will forge the new frontiers in risk management and carry us in the 21st century, advancing the insurance practices of our community and beyond. </li></ul>
11. The visitors to NIA often refer to it as modern day “Gurukul”
12. NIA has got both indoor and outdoor classrooms and syndicate rooms.
13. Life long relation Once you set foot on NIA Campus, you begin a life-long relationship with the Academy. Careers, friends and life interests may change, but when you attend a programme at NIA, you have a connection that lasts throughout your life. While at NIA, you will have many occasions to meet and interact with our outstanding alumni as distinguished speakers and present day leaders of the insurance industry. They also provide outstanding opportunities for networking and support.
14. Training Activities We identify, develop and conduct training programmes, seminars and workshops for development of executives working in and around insurance industry in India and other developing countries. We have expanded our scope to include programmes in IT, General Management, Human Resources, Investment and Social Security areas apart from our core competence in insurance related areas. We scan the environment on a continual basis with the help of the executives from insurance industry to identify the actual and perceived management development needs of practicing managers.
15. Training Process <ul><li>NIA devises sponsored training programmes both on-campus and off-campus for domestic and foreign customers. Programme contents are tailored each time to specific requirements of the client organization and facilitate progressive ethos. Each training course is designed with clarity on the following parameters: </li></ul><ul><ul><li>Objective of the course; </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Need for the course; </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Proposed duration; </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Tentative input design and sequencing; </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Core faculty and guest faculties based on perceived expertise; </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Pedagogic mix like interactive lectures, cases, exercises, presentations and digital aids etc.; and </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Available literature and reading materials to form the courseware. </li></ul></ul>
16. Research and Consultancy NIA promotes, develops and nurtures research and consultancy activities on institutional and individual basis. Areas of study include accounting, life insurance, general insurance, healthcare management, reinsurance, business economics, banking, investment, turnaround management, financial controls, risk management, regulatory provisions, human resource and organizational behavior, information system, marketing, operation and technology management, strategy and organization. NIA follows an interventionist approach to help influence practice through its consulting and research. The workshops, seminars and training programmes provide NIA opportunity to update the concepts. This helps NIA to offer the latest solution package to organizations
17. Publications Apart from NIA‘s own in-house publications like Bimaquest, Dnyanajyoti Research Series (DJRS), Pravartak, research monograms and working papers, NIA encourages our faculty and research associates to undertake commercially viable stand alone or institutional action research projects, publish them in referred journals and present the concepts at national and international seminars. All research projects are referred to at least six subject matter specialists or industry leaders before publication. NIA has a cadre of research associates drawn two thirds from the insurance industry and one-third from our own core professionals. Research and consultancy are components of faculty performance benchmark. Elsewhere, NIA provides a glimpse of some of our completed research and consultancy projects.
18. NIA’s strength in consultancy and research are not far to seek <ul><li>Faculty with real time as also on-line industry exposure, highly successful career, state-of-the-art international exposure and exceptional academic credentials; </li></ul><ul><li>Umbrella services in areas of consulting, training, research and publications; </li></ul><ul><li>Exposure to industries in wide variety of geographic locations and complete range of business ; </li></ul><ul><li>Working in collaboration with extremely creditable companies and firms; </li></ul><ul><li>Almost monopolistic access to industry experts and insurance specialists; </li></ul><ul><li>Working at policy level, supporting and critiquing regulatory efforts; </li></ul><ul><li>Unblemished track record of research and consulting services; and </li></ul><ul><li>Unassuming, informal and nonthreatening environment conducive to change management. </li></ul>
19. Working together NIA works in close collaboration its our patronising organisations as an integrated constituent for execution of our suggestions. NIA internalises individual learnings into organisational learning. With the insurance archives at NIA premises, it has a strong organisational memory to bank with. NIA always keeps its schedule and steps out of the commercial considerations to provide value-added services and information to the patronising organisations or industries. There is a wealth of talent and experience in insurance industry today. And today, more than ever before, whether it is in life insurance, general insurance and reinsurance, in the investment management or human resource management, talent and experience without the disciplined framework of formal training is rarely enough.
20. NIA has initiated its digital library from April 2005. This library has been developed using an open source software i.e. Greenstone Digital Library Software (GSDL) and is installed on Windows 2000 Server. The activities of Digital Library are: Collection of presentations in a soft form, from all the programmes /seminars conducted in NIA and outside NIA including presentations made in MBA classes. Classifying and segregating the presentations subject-wise / author wise / programme title-wise / programme number-wise for easy accessibility Sorting and converting them into secured Acrobat PDF format All members of NIA can access the Digital Library through Intranet. Till date 370 programme documents and 30 MBA documents are uploaded. Uploading of further documents is in process.